Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Super Bowl Conspiracty: Jets v. Colts

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW Oski does start some pretty absurd threads.

Exhibit A

[/ QUOTE ]

How is asking a question absurd. Maybe you need to read the post to see what it was about.

As for this one. How many times have you had an NFL player tell you that he and others believed that a specific game was fixed.

Not only that, he named a specific player he thought was on the take.

Finally, I never said it was my theory or that I believed it.

I simply asked whether anyone thought it was possible.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the point of this? You can work out a way in which it would be in there interest to do so, I guess. But then what? There's no other evidence whatsoever, so what are you going to do? The whole idea that someone might have an interest in something crazy like this makes it possible/likely is stupid. If our only question is, as you asked it, is it possible, well, sure it's POSSIBLE, just not likely and there's no reason other than the bare metaphysical possibility that it happened to believe it. If by possible you mean likely/probable, then all we have is a possible motivation, which is of course nowhere near enough. And unless you or someone else has more information to present, we are at a dead end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the fact I that this was told to me by an NFL player that played at the time, and that he heard things about this in locker rooms, etc., I have no information that it really happened.

What kind of comment are you trying to make, anyway. What is the point of this? What is the point of any sports post? Are you really going to find out whether Barry Bonds is better than Babe Ruth, or whether Pedro Martinez is a better pticher than Sandy Koufax? Why ask a question if the answer cannot be definitively proven.

I suppose your brain is at a dead end. What is even more outrageous is that you reject it immediately as complete conjecture, even though this type of scenario has been uncovered many times in international soccer.

Again, the NFL then wasn't what it is today.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW Oski does start some pretty absurd threads.

Exhibit A

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to make a comment like this, please elaborate.

Explain why the exhibit "A" thread is absurd.

Explain why this thread is absurd (as you have called it such by implication).

If you are going to take a shot at somebody, make sure you back it up.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:15 PM

I already addressed why it was absurd in my first post in this thread. Others in the Robert Lee thread explained why that was absurd better than I can.

I wasn't trying to be too harsh, sorry if I came off offensive.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible that the NFL orchestrated (or influence at least) the outcome of Super Bowl III?

[/ QUOTE ]
So your theory is that there was an NFL conspiracy to to have the NFL team lose to the non-NFL team? That makes no sense whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't anybody read around here?

I never stated it was my theory. I gave the source of this possible theory and some possible motives behind such a thing happening. I also provided some general examples of stuff like this happening in other leagues.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:45 PM

I know Morrall played horribly and Shula pulled him at some point; I forget when exactly?
Have you asked your friend's dad if he thinks the Chiefs-Vikings game the following year marginalizes this theory?
Old 02-01-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I already addressed why it was absurd in my first post in this thread. Others in the Robert Lee thread explained why that was absurd better than I can.

I wasn't trying to be too harsh, sorry if I came off offensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't explain how this thread is absurd. You made a comment that if the game was fixed, it was because of gamblers, not the NFL. Obviously, the question whether the SBIII was fixed is not absurd to you since you offered the source of the possible fix. You didn't explain why it wouldn't be the NFL, however.

As to the other thread, not one person claimed the thread was absurd, much less explained why it would be considered absurd.

Again, if you want to take a shot at someone, make sure you back it up.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know Morrall played horribly and Shula pulled him at some point; I forget when exactly?
Do you think the Chiefs-Vikings game the following year marginalizes this theory?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is an excellent point. I am certain that the Chiefs matched up well with the Vikings on paper, and that their win did not raise that many eyebrows.

However, the fact that "parity" may have been on the horizon at the time of SBIII, makes it even less likely that the NFL orchestrated the Jets winning.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:04 PM

Of course no post in a sports forum will "do anything". But if you are comparing two players, say, you can bring up various statistics, ways of looking at them, etc, and go back and forth in an interesting if nerdy debate. Here, it's like "ok this one guy told me that he heard this really crazy conspiracy theory, could it be true?" Sure, it could be, it isn't very likley, there's no other evidence of any kind (Some guy thought the game didn't seem right, ooo boy, there's a smoking gun!), so it's really just people answering "how crazy are you?"

Quite.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course no post in a sports forum will "do anything". But if you are comparing two players, say, you can bring up various statistics, ways of looking at them, etc, and go back and forth in an interesting if nerdy debate. Here, it's like "ok this one guy told me that he heard this really crazy conspiracy theory, could it be true?" Sure, it could be, it isn't very likley, there's no other evidence of any kind (Some guy thought the game didn't seem right, ooo boy, there's a smoking gun!), so it's really just people answering "how crazy are you?"

Quite.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I am crazy for asking what other people think about a topic?

Ok. Thanks for that.

I am sure there were plenty of people surprised that Serie A was caught fixing games for popular clubs.

If you weren't such a moron and decided to read the posts before you posted yourself, you will see that its not my theory and I am just asking what others think about it specifically, and also was wondering if they think about this stuff in general.

But, thanks for your input.