Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

View Poll Results: Do you think poker is a game involving skill?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM

Default Re: chopsticks, fried rice, white people

[ QUOTE ]

This is because chopsticks are a stupidly designed implement for eating food. Can you eat steak with chopsticks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the chef cuts up the steak into small, bite-sized pieces before serving it.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

This is because chopsticks are a stupidly designed implement for eating food. Can you eat steak with chopsticks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, the chef cuts up the steak into small, bite-sized pieces before serving it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But how did he cut the meat into small bite-sized pieces?

Oh that's right, he used a knife and forkLOLahahhLOLmoomoo
Old 11-26-2007, 12:02 PM

Ok, let's clear up some ignorance with a few sentences from the wiki article on fried rice:

"Fried Rice is a popular component of Chinese cuisine and other forms of Asian cuisine. It originated as a home made dish from Tao Feng, who was a very famous chef at the time in China, made from cold leftover rice fried with other leftover ingredients.[1] It is sometimes served as the penultimate dish in Chinese banquets (just before dessert).

"There are dozens of varieties of fried rice, each with their own specific list of ingredients. In Asia, the more famous varieties include Yangchow (Yangzhou) and Fukien (Fujian) fried rice. In the West, Chinese restaurants catering to non-Chinese clientele have invented their own varieties of fried rice including egg fried rice, Singaporean (spicy) fried rice and the ubiquitous 'special fried rice'.

"Fried rice is a common staple in American Chinese cuisine, especially in the westernized form sold at fast-food stands. The most common form is a basic fried rice, often with some mixture of eggs, scallions, and vegetables, with chopped meat (usually pork or chicken, sometimes beef or shrimp) added at the customer's discretion."
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 PM

FWI RIE?
Old 11-26-2007, 01:29 PM

I am Chinese and have used chopsticks my whole life. 3 years ago, I studied abroad in Hong Kong. One day, I was eating lunch with my fellow exchange students, half of them Chinese, half of them white. All of the Chinese students used a fork, all of the white students used chopsticks. I thought it was pretty funny.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am Chinese and have used chopsticks my whole life. 3 years ago, I studied abroad in Hong Kong. One day, I was eating lunch with my fellow exchange students, half of them Chinese, half of them white. All of the Chinese students used a fork, all of the white students used chopsticks. I thought it was pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did they order steak?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

correct fried rice eating tools

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the proper utensils for wonton soup.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:07 PM

el d,

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, no wonder Ethiopians are starving w/ that crap for food.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

el edfurlong,

[ QUOTE ]

My mom used to take me to Blue Nile in Berkeley when I was a kid. God it was so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had heard rumors that Blue Nile had closed. sadly, these rumors appear to be true:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/QFJCpzOOEjZRRKLJwvSV4g

double [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

el garcia,

[ QUOTE ]
This is because chopsticks are a stupidly designed implement for eating food. Can you eat steak with chopsticks? Bread? Spaghetti? The best designed would be a spork and knife.

[/ QUOTE ]

people keep using Steak as a counter-example to the utility of chopsticks, but steak is in fact so specialized that your garden variety fork-and-knife are inadequate for the task of eating it. this is why the (aptly-named) steak knife was invented.

you eat bread with any utensils at all? really? please explain. maybe one of your frog characters could demonstrate visually? perhaps you (garcia) have no mouth?

spaghetti ~= chow mein or udon noodles, so yes, chopsticks are fine for spaghetti.

splashpot,

good story.

oski,

lol.

los spoon eaters,

i'm pretty sure all of you are just bonkers.

los chopstick haters at large,

i will agree that if i had to pick one set of utensils to use for the rest of my meals on earth, i would pick the western complement of fork/knife/spoon (or spork, i guess, if you put a gun to my head). but isn't there fundamental truth to the old maxim, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"?

i learned to use chopsticks because i was tired of being That White Guy who goes to asian restaraunts and can't eat like i'm supposed to. i had nightmares and cold sweats about visiting Japan and having to ask over and over, "fo-ku to nai-fu arimasen-ka?". i mean, i didn't fly 5000 miles to order macaroni & cheese.

for me, food is one of the foundations of culture, and using the traditional implements to eat that food is part of enjoying that cultural experience to the fullest.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 PM

also, fwiw, when we are at home, my wife will eat her steak (uncut) with chopsticks. she just stabs it down the middle with both sticks and eats it like a steak-on-a-stick
Old 11-26-2007, 03:13 PM

I'm (mostly) chinese and I can barely get by with chopsticks. When I'm with friends I'll use them so I don't look like a retard...but when I'm with family, I always ask for a fork...but then the waiter gives me a look like "you should be ashamed of yourself!"

It always makes me sad