Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 04:36 AM

Default HUSNG Theory : Flop play in position

I have had this issue for a while and I have not been able to figure it out myself. I do not know how often I should be continuation betting on the flop after raising on the button. I play at lowest limit HUSNG's which are filled with calling stations. When I first started playing I would bet very often but that was spew because I would get called by bottom pair a lot, this eats away at my chipstack. How often do you continuation be? When do you not bet? Most importantly, why?
Old 10-25-2007, 04:46 AM

Default Re: HUSNG Theory : Flop play in position

I play at low levels myself and I almost exclusively cb after raising preflop. Most opponents at these levels don't seem to notice the pattern and if they do start to play back I mix in some c/f on the flop after raising preflop. This usually gives me a chance to trap the opponent when I hit something on the flop, giving me a nice c/r opportunity.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:56 AM

consider lowering your pfr size and/or cbet size.

You can also try raising a few less hands against super calling stations.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:18 PM

First, if Villain is calling super-wide, then you can get enormous value betting any type of made hand. Against any type of loose-passive opponent, focus most on consistent value bets with any piece of the board.

Second, try dboy23's advice and avoid big pots before the flop. Calling stations will call your post-flop bets when you hit even if the pot's small, so there's no reason to go for a large pre-flop pot (unless your hand strength merits it) when he'll be calling so much post-flop anyway.

Lastly, times not to cbet are very different for passive players and aggro players. Against a passive player, be more literal and be less inclined to cbet when you have no showdown value. Against an aggressive player, tend to avoid the cbet when you really want to see a free turn (e.g. you have a several-out nut draw) and don't want to risk a check/raise.

Feel free to post specific hands against calling stations ... these guys can be frustrating to play but are very profitable foes in the long run.

-- Collin
Old 10-25-2007, 04:31 PM

I think that most flop mistakes come from pre-flop mistakes. If you are varying your PF raises, then you are creating two problems:

Big pots are too hard to get away from.
Even calling stations have a brain.

I think that you are probably playing too tight, limping too much, raising too much with obviously strong hands, etc. I am not saying that these are all your problems, just food for thought.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM

True of False: Against calling stations, you should try to build large pots postflop because you extract more value than if the pot was small.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM

True(with good hands)
Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 PM

true and false. Calling stations probably aren't concerned about pot-sizes, so betting what they are willing to call seems a better concern here. If they are willing to call shoves in small pots, then it doesn't matter what the pot size is.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:25 PM

False - don't raise things like small sc's against calling stations. You bleed chips and get paid off when you hit anyway.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
False - don't raise things like small sc's against calling stations. You bleed chips and get paid off when you hit anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed! You should be raising Big PP and high card hands to extract the maximum value from these.