Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 AM

Default Re: Basic Sit \'n Go Questions Answered Here

I played the $5.50 games with only $20 for the same reason as you. Getting your aces cracked by J8 oop after you've raised is a mouse-busting experience. I might play the $15+1 since I've gotten over $40 now but there is really no room for error there. Maybe I will get to $64 first with the $5.50 games so I have 4 buyins to cash. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM

Alot of the more experinced Two Plus Two players seem to be migrating away from the sit n go's and into the cash games. Could we get you thoughts on this trend.
Thanks
Old 10-10-2007, 09:07 PM

Another question about the bodog beginner sngs. I've been a decent winner at the $5 sngs, but I had to withdrawal most of my bankroll for emergency purposes. I still have about $145 on there, which i feel comfortable enough playing the 5.50s with.

My question is, if I have to move down to the 4.40 beginner sngs, is it a bit safer to play those with a less buyins, since (in my mind anyway) the variance would be lower with half of the field paying out?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alot of the more experinced Two Plus Two players seem to be migrating away from the sit n go's and into the cash games. Could we get you thoughts on this trend.
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in this question also. It doesn't seem like the best thing to specialize in, especially if you intend to play a lot of B&M poker where SNGs are tougher to find.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another question about the bodog beginner sngs. I've been a decent winner at the $5 sngs, but I had to withdrawal most of my bankroll for emergency purposes. I still have about $145 on there, which i feel comfortable enough playing the 5.50s with.

My question is, if I have to move down to the 4.40 beginner sngs, is it a bit safer to play those with a less buyins, since (in my mind anyway) the variance would be lower with half of the field paying out?

[/ QUOTE ]
The variance should be lower. The payouts are $12, $10, $8, $6, $4. Someone who finishes in each place with probability 1/10 will have a standard deviation of $4.47, 1.02 buy-ins, as opposed to 1.52 buy-ins for an even distribution in a normal 10-player SNG. That means if you can maintain the same ROI, you need about 1/(1.5)^2 ~ 1/2 as many buy-ins for the same risk of ruin. (Standard deviations for winning players tend to be slightly higher, about 1.7 buy-ins for regular SNGs.)

A priori, a structure like that would decrease the win rate of most winning players. However, calling it a beginners SNG probably lowers the quality of play so that your ROI may be about the same as in a normal $5.50 SNG. You should keep track of how your ROI compares between the games.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Is Collin MIA
Old 10-15-2007, 05:15 PM

Hi Guys,

Many solid players feel that SNGs have gotten a lot tougher. There's no question that this is true relative to the old Party days, but if you use good table selection, there are still many fishy tables available at all buy-ins (up to the $500's, at least). If you're a B&M player, your options will be much more limited on the SNG front. Even when you find the games, the inordinately high rake (often 15% or 20%) makes it very tough to be a consistent winner even though competition will be softer.

In an SNG where half are paid, pzhon is right -- variance will be lowers, and so you will need a smaller bankroll relative to playing SNGs where only the top 33% (or as little as top 20% in some live games) are paid.

-- Collin
Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 PM

Collin, you mention Office as your preferred tracking software. I have been on the fence when it comes to purchasing anything. Do you consider these programs a must own for any serious SnG player?
Old 10-15-2007, 06:41 PM

What is an achievable roi in low to mid level SNGs? Also how would you compare the skills of good SNG player to a cash or tournament player. Thanks for your time.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM

I'm very new to SnGs, so please forgive me if these rather random questions are dumb:

1 - Of the low buyin (=<$10) sngs at fulltilt and stars, are some better than others in terms of gaining experience and building a bankroll? Or should I just randomly enter them?

2 - Is it generally wrong to slowplay AA-QQ when you get to 4 players or less? I did this last night with 3 players and got called some... interesting names...