Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 06-12-2007, 07:16 AM

Default 1-2 Stud 8 Sole low vs obvious highs

Okay, so I'm a stud noob, but I'm trying to learn a bit so please bare with me.

I bring in with (3h2c)6d and get called in succession by (A)Qs, (B)Ks, (C)Kd.
Should I start with a complete here? I almost always just bring in no matter what I have. Is there any general guideline on when we should bring in for the full bet instead of half?

4th: (B)KsJc (C)KdTh bets, Hero (3h2c)6d5h raises, (A)Qs9h calls, b folds, c raises, I cap, b calls, c calls.

5th: C, KdTh2d bets, I catch Kc and raise, B, Qs9h4h calls, C raises, I cap b calls, c calls.
Is capping good with just a draw for low and 3 outs to scoop here?

6th: B, Qs9h4hQh checks, C, KdTh2d3c checks, I catch 9d check.
This is a clear check right? 40% to make a low, 8% to the straight, so noly 24% pot equity.

7th: B bets, C calls, I make an 8 and raise, B calls, C calls

thank you,
Velocity
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Re: 1-2 Stud 8 Sole low vs obvious highs

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so I'm a stud noob, but I'm trying to learn a bit so please bare with me.

I bring in with (3h2c)6d and get called in succession by (A)Qs, (B)Ks, (C)Kd.
Should I start with a complete here? I almost always just bring in no matter what I have. Is there any general guideline on when we should bring in for the full bet instead of half?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this game 4-handed? If not, it's a good idea to list the folded up cards. Sometimes it's possible to consider folded up cards and make inferences about down cards.

Was this game online? If so, it's hard to say what people acting behind you will do. I generally don't complete in full-table ring-game stud8 unless I look to be the only low; I don't want to sell out my hand. Other players take a different approach.

[ QUOTE ]
4th: (B)KsJc (C)KdTh bets, Hero (3h2c)6d5h raises, (A)Qs9h calls, b folds, c raises, I cap, b calls, c calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Four cards to a 6 low and a gutshot--I like this raise. Sometimes beginners wait for the big bet on 5th street before they pop it, but here you are free-rolling against three high hands, so why wait? You lose one player that you may have lost anyway, but you get to cap it three-way.

[ QUOTE ]
5th: C, KdTh2d bets, I catch Kc and raise, B, Qs9h4h calls, C raises, I cap b calls, c calls.
Is capping good with just a draw for low and 3 outs to scoop here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you miss, but keep pounding. You do have some high equity, but basically you are playing for low. For every dollar you put in the pot, you are hoping to get $.50 back. Your position here isn't good enough to be laying those odds, and bluffing isn't going to get the money in a 1-2 game. You figured the equity for 6th street, if you figure it here you'll see that you have a call.

[ QUOTE ]
6th: B, Qs9h4hQh checks, C, KdTh2d3c checks, I catch 9d check.
This is a clear check right? 40% to make a low, 8% to the straight, so noly 24% pot equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Check.

[ QUOTE ]
7th: B bets, C calls, I make an 8 and raise, B calls, C calls

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like you have the only low. Since C has already called one bet, might as well raise.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:42 PM

You're on the right track.

As far as bringing in full, I rarely ever do it - I just don't like to give away anything about my holding. The only time I like to do it with any frequency is when the really fishy calling stations are at the table and they'll generally call a full bringin with junk like AK3. If I know I'm going to get a few callers I'll bring in full with playable hands, but that's generally not the case.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:11 AM

This was a little hard to read. If this was on a major site, there is a handy converter which will make your hand real pretty.

I think you'll find that most posters have an aversion to bringing it in full. There are even a few who think that it is never correct to bring it in full. I happen to disagree, but I don't bring it in full very often myself. If this was a four-handed game, you might bring it in full against all those bananas, or you might bring it in for the minimum and then maybe raise on the backside if you're feeling frisky.

On fourth, get as much money in as humanly possible. Fifth is still well worth jamming. Slow down on sixth. Go nuts on the river. So you played it right.