Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 01:36 PM

Default Canadian tax rebate from win in the US question

Sorry in advance because I dont regularily read this forum so Im unsure if this is the right forum and if it is a regularily covered topic. I didnt see anything in the archives or the FAQ though.

Annnnnnnyways.

I won a bit of money at the WSOP last year. I am Canadian so they withheld 30% which I know I can now get back. The total won amount is around 50k if that matters. Now I have seen a few services that do all the work for me which is basically what I want but Id like somewhere I can trust and preferably somewhere where I either dont have to give my passport or if I do a place that is B+M in the Toronto area.

I really have no idea about the steps I need to take here other then what I could find out on google.

Some help please?
Old 02-01-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Canadian tax rebate from win in the US question

I don't have an answer but I'd like to know about this too. Surely someone here has used these services. One thing I have heard is that they take a rather high percentage of the money they get you back.

Ryan
Old 02-01-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have an answer but I'd like to know about this too. Surely someone here has used these services. One thing I have heard is that they take a rather high percentage of the money they get you back.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

actually the ones I saw were only like 150 flat rate or something, but I want a good one someone else has used or a better explanation of what I need to do.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:39 AM

Can't you just do this on your own?

(Theoretically, but paying them $150 isn't bad, also who cares about showing them your passport -- if they're an established company it shouldn't be a problem.)
Old 02-02-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't you just do this on your own?

(Theoretically, but paying them $150 isn't bad, also who cares about showing them your passport -- if they're an established company it shouldn't be a problem.)

[/ QUOTE ]

My issue is more if you have to send your passport away to them for some period of time because I travel so much and you need it to go to the US now. Also my real issue is I dont KNOW any reputable companies so I want to hear from someone who has done this successfully.

Surely there are some Canadian 2p2ers who have won money in the states and had to do this [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

ask around to your friends if you know anyone please.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:41 PM

My understanding was that all you needed to do was file a US tax return (or maybe just this form), and it would all be refunded.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:25 PM

All you need to do is get a taxpayer ID form. You can go through the US consulate if you are in the Toronto or ottawa area so you don't have to do withou your passport.

Once you have an ID number, it is a simple matter of doing a US tax return and getting pretty much all of he tax bak.

A company will do all the work and may charge $75 to get the ID number and 40% of the taxes rebated. Or you do it ourself for a couple hours investment.