Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2007, 05:05 AM

Default ** THE OFFICIAL TWIN PEAKS THREAD - SPOILERS **

Yes, there will be spoilers in here, no doubt, so tread wisely.

I'm starting this thread because season 2 is just about to be released. Suckily, season 1 is discontinued... now is the time to ebay it or netflix season 1 if you can.

I'll be watching the whole thing from start to finish over the next few weeks, and recapping briefly each episode and discussing anything anyone wants to discuss.

Note I've seen it all the way through 3 times already, but it's been about 3-4 years since the last time, and the second season was a bad transfer spanish version (which I stress is legit, and the only real released version of season 2 there's been to date in the world), so I already know all the plot stuff. I've also seen 'Fire Walk with Me' twice.

However, to start me off, I want to ask those who've seen it - Should I watch 'Fire Walk with Me' before the TV series, or after?
Old 03-21-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: ** THE OFFICIAL TWIN PEAKS THREAD - SPOILERS **

I liked the T-Shirts that said "Laura Palmer was Bored to Death" after disgruntled fans began to get bored and upset with the going nowhere plot. Weird quirkyness can only take you so far. I kinda liked Twin Peaks but I kinda hated it too? I hope "Lost" can evade a similar fate.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I watch 'Fire Walk with Me' before the TV series, or after?

[/ QUOTE ]After, for maximum impact.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Should I watch 'Fire Walk with Me' before the TV series, or after?

[/ QUOTE ]After, for maximum impact.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's been probably 8 years since I watched season 1, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen the entirety of season 2, but if I remember correctly the movie gives a lot of spoilers to the episodes. And if you've never seen the show, the movie makes no sense. 2 good reasons to believe that it's meant to be watched afterwards. If you've got the time, try a shows-movie-shows combo for probably the maximum enjoyment possible.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I liked the T-Shirts that said "Laura Palmer was Bored to Death" after disgruntled fans began to get bored and upset with the going nowhere plot. Weird quirkyness can only take you so far. I kinda liked Twin Peaks but I kinda hated it too? I hope "Lost" can evade a similar fate.

[/ QUOTE ]
I read somewhere that Lynch didn't want the murder to ever be solved, and for that "mystery" to basically fade into the background of the real show about quirky characters getting into quirky situations in a quirky town. Then the producers felt the pressures and forced them to reveal the killer by the end of season 1. So fans like you would have really hated the show had they not caved into the pressure.

Lost is probably a good comparison. Twin Peaks broke ground for very in depth character driven hour long dramas with tons of bizarre elements and non-linear plot points.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Then the producers felt the pressures and forced them to reveal the killer by the end of season 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Niity point...it wasn't revealed in season 1, it was early/midway through season 2.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:35 PM

you watch it AFTER...just because it's prequel doesn't mean you should watch it in chronological order! Sheesh.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

And just because Season One is discontinued doesn't mean you can't still get it in stores...I've seen it on amazon and in huge video/music stores.

I'd love to be able to watch this, as well...I'll see if I can find Season One somewhere...

There was no freakier or better ending to a series than the very last episode...it made the frustration of Season Two worthwhile.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Then the producers felt the pressures and forced them to reveal the killer by the end of season 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Niity point...it wasn't revealed in season 1, it was early/midway through season 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...I was about to be just as nitty and say this, but you beat me to it.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:41 PM

"So fans like you would have really hated the show had they not caved into the pressure"

Maybe, maybe not. If they would have let it fade and centered on the quirkyness and the characters I think it would have been much better. But they didn't. The murder mystery was always at the forefront and they never did let it fade away. I will admit my recollection is foggy since I havent seen Twin peaks since it was first run broadcast.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:37 PM

I had previously watched about half the series. I guess I'll start again now by "acquiring" the pilot (which you can't get legally in the U.S.).

Will the pilot scare me though? Most Lynch stuff makes me sleep with the lights on (literally), but I don't recall the first season being scary...