Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Am i lying to myself

its not very hard i went from less then 500 to more than 50k in less than 6 months, but yeah in terms of school im kinda in a similar situation to u.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:49 PM

Scorp,

You post some good stuff, and you have some serious domain knowledge.

But not in poker.

Good poker is all about power and respect. The money flows from these essentials.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 AM

Fair enough, Mr. Now...I am no poker expert. I agree with your statement about success in poker. I just feel that when one gets to be 40 or 50 or 60, power and respect (both self respect and respect from the community at large) is more often maximized by success in other venues that are less individual in nature and often involve organizations or the community at large.

This is not true for everyone, but I believe it is true of the average college player.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Scorp,

Good poker is all about power and respect. The money flows from these essentials.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even close to all about power and respect. I'd make 5x more if everytime I played everyone forgot who I was. I'd rather get no respect at all.

James
Old 01-08-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am i lying to myself

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You are.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:14 PM

OP,

If you're really set on getting into Wall Street, why don't you start honing those skills instead of trying to become a poker player? Maybe you're already doing so and just didn't mention it, but start reading up on trading, start a portfolio, do some market research and write about it, or join/start an investment club at your school. Any of those would look a lot better on a resume and show that you're truly interested in the markets (and show yourself if that's what you truly want to do) rather than trying to show how any poker prowess you may have correlates to investing at an interview.

As far as summer jobs go, I come from an engineering background so i'm not an expert on what business opportunities are available to a freshman, but i'd say talk to your advisor or professors to see if they need a research assistant, or talk to your career center to see if they know of any places that might be looking for an intern. You might have to start cold-calling places if you're truly interested. That being said, not having an applicable job the first summer of college isn't a big deal.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:38 PM

Write a paper about financial economics. Get it published. Profit.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:14 PM

Trader jobs are not like other Wall Street jobs. You don't even need a college degree for a trader job. You just need to get hired somewhere and perform. If you perform, you move up very quickly. If you fail (like most) you are out of there.

If you are talking about Wall Street jobs in general, then you better have a high GPA, and hopefully interships at the same companies you would like to work at. That is where you should place most of your efforts.

In terms of poker and college, you are either putting in crazy hours playing poker, major in hard sciences where grading is tough, or you are just lazy. Classes don't take up 12 hours a day, and you should be able to play tons of poker without affecting your GPA.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:46 PM

The problem here is more verification. Your future employer will be able to know for a fact through your transcript what your GPA is. This will allow them to infer a few things about your work ethic and intelligence. Telling them on your resume that you are a winning poker player is going to be considerably more difficult to verify, and they probably won't know how to interpret your results even if they do believe you.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:06 AM

what about during an interview, I'm able to show them a graph of my investment portfolio since freshman year and if it's pretty impressive, do you think they'll even count that or are they likely to blow it off.

I'm currently under the impression that traders don't have to be as polished or have as good of a gpa/resume as ibanking recruitment requires. Do they even recruit for trading jobs?? Becuase i think i heard that some trading jobs only recruit those with experience... which is how people join hedge funds.