Old 11-13-2007, 06:26 AM

Default Re: Weather Channel Founder says\"Global Warming is Biggest Scam in His

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All great innovations that improved our lives were created by the profit motive

[/ QUOTE ]

computers weren't.

but even if solar were price competitive in 5 years, it would still take a ton of money to switch over.

I mean, the premise is that the entire earth is being destroyed by CO2. having said that it seems logical that if you accept that premise that you should do everything you can to get off fossil fuels and onto non CO2 emitting energy. that's all I'm saying. the fact that the global climate *answer* has nothing at all to do with non CO2 energy you have to admit is mighty suspicious and supports the theory that global warming is a hoax.

I mean look at france. most of electricity there is generated by nuclear power. so if the threat were real and a real solution were wanted, countries would at least discuss building more nuke plants to get off of oil/coal, at least for electricity generation.

I mean, even if you accept the premise that nuclear plants are unsafe, radioactive waste a problem, etc., what's that compared to the fact that THE ENTIRE PLANET IS BEING DESTROYED RIGHT NOW BY MANMADE CO2. WE MUST DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO SAVE OURSELVES except build nuclear plants cause they make us nervous and they got bad press and jane fonda made a movie ... ok, that makes sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't fathom anyone would think anything other than the profit motive led us to the great developments of the computer. IBM, Intel, Microsoft?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer

I just don't see how you could think that the great computer developments of this country are due to the efforts of the US Government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I'm not sure how you got that conclusion.

The two most famous vacuum tube computers were ENIAC and Colossus both of which were WWII military projects. They showed people that computers could have practical and highly important applications and were much more than toys. The biggest revolutions in computing hardware were the transistors (invented by a professor in Berlin) and the development of high quality integrated circuits (thanks to NASA).

The basic building blocks of the computer industry were laid out by university professors, wartime, and cold war projects. Then it was easy for business to take over and push innovation to new levels. But even today many very important and basic advancements still occur at the university level.

Sorry, but I highly doubt the computer would be anywhere near where it is today without government $$$$$. It's silly and grossly ignorant to claim government and universities made no contributions. There is even an article on CNET titled "How NASA helped invent Silicon Valley".
http://www.news.com/How-NASA-helped-...3-6211034.html

This "guvment can do no good" stuff has been debated ad nauseum and is just plain ignorant.