Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Without question, the worst Bill Simmons article ever.

The Beckham part seemed rather accurate to me - well okay, both ends of the argument were poor, but soccer is not going to catch on in the US.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Beckham part seemed rather accurate to me - well okay, both ends of the argument were poor, but soccer is not going to catch on in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]He for some reasons thinks that soccer will just BLOW UP and suddenly become insanely popular, for some ridiculous reason. I mean, did the NFL just BLOW UP one year? No, it got to where it is over time. Simmons, you suck.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 PM

Did you ever read the article in which Simmons proclaimed that AI would undoubtedly be the greatest soccer player ever, if only he had taken up the sport?

What a clueless, US-centric retard.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:27 PM

I really like his top 50 NBA players ranked by trade value.. those are always classic.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you ever read the article in which Simmons proclaimed that AI would undoubtedly be the greatest soccer player ever, if only he had taken up the sport?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol i totally forgot about that one
Old 08-05-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1- there's now like 20 people in the blogsphere doing it better than he is who are more timely and have better jokes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Links?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded. I'm always up for entertaining sports reading. And I usually like Simmons, so 'better than Simmons' sounds like an interesting group to check out.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1- there's now like 20 people in the blogsphere doing it better than he is who are more timely and have better jokes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Links?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that request, Dids.

And I'm not doing it to be an ass either. I enjoy Simmons's columns, and if there are 10 people doing it better right now, let alone 20, I would like to be reading them.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]He for some reasons thinks that soccer will just BLOW UP and suddenly become insanely popular, for some ridiculous reason. I mean, did the NFL just BLOW UP one year? No, it got to where it is over time. Simmons, you suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, did he really write something like that? Wow, how stupid. Soccer in the US reached it's zenith back when Pele came to the states, there's no goddamn way it's going to get any more popular in this day and age, with too many distractions and soccer becoming largely scorned. Beckham making soccer big in the US? L-O-L, nobody in the states gives a crap about Beckham and his mannequin-looking wife (who we would totally nail though).
Old 08-05-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree that Bill Simmons can be US-centric. For instance he's trying to list sports stories from this summer that are upsetting, and he chooses to mention the possibility of Rosie joining the cast of a drama set around high school football, and yet he does not mention the scandal-ridden Tour de France from this year.

However, in the article you mention he certainly did not claim "AI would undoubtedly be the greatest soccer player ever". What he did write (in this piece) was:

He's an athletic freak. Iverson could have been an unbelievable soccer player. He could have been a world-class boxer and a remarkable defensive center fielder and base stealer. He could have picked his sport in track and field and competed for an Olympic spot. I can't fathom how much ground he could have covered on a tennis court.

Hyperbole maybe, but not on the level you put it. And he is not limiting the comparison to soccer.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, did he really write something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

No he didn't. TSC was leveling us.

Here's what Simmons said:

[ QUOTE ]
Pro soccer can't become a major American sport when 99.7% of the quality players play overseas. It's a fact.
. . .
The fact remains: Americans will never care that Beckham is playing soccer in a league of half-decent guys, just like English people wouldn't care if they had a mediocre baseball league and the London team signed A-Rod.

[/ QUOTE ]