Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 PM

Default New York Giants

Big Giants fan here. Are there any optimists out there who think the Jints have a real shot at the playoffs this year? I'm pretty uninspired myself.

They'll need either a huge, breakout year from Eli, or some sort of unexpectedly great performance by the defense. I can't really see either of these happening, so I'm afraid we're looking at 6-7 wins, maybe 8 if the close games break right. It would take a lot of luck and some unexpected individual player seasons for this team to make it into the playoffs in my opinion.

Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: New York Giants

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw the thread title and thought you wanted to talk about the good old days at the Polo Grounds with John McGraw in the dugout.

I really need to stop obsessively watching Ken Burn's documentary.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:36 PM

My thoughts are I think 6-10 is a whole lot more likely than 10-6. The QB has not shown much. The RBs are very up in the air. The OL is shuffled, could be very good, could be bad. WRs are up in the air. Burress shows up when he wants, Toomer coming back off big injury, the rest pretty much untested.

DL up in the air, especially with no Strahan (for now). My first inclination is that the LBs stink, but I might be wrong about that. Secondary stinks until I see otherwise. New O and D coaches should be an improvement.

With 3 division games in first 4, they need to get off to a good start, figure 3-1. Could they do it? I guess, but I'm not optimistic. The schedule looks tough and if they don't have momentum and confidence coming out of the first quarter of the season, I think it will be a long year.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:38 PM

No, but truth is, I don't care. I'm just hoping for Tom Coughlin to be fired. If we win 8 games, great - I'm sure some of them will be remarkably exciting. If we win 5, hey, we get a high draft pick. The Giants will find unbelivable ways to both win and lose games - that's the kind of talent they've got. They're the most exciting 8-8 or 7-9 team you're ever going to find.

The problem is that Eli Manning isn't very good, Plaxico Burress and Jeremy Shockey aren't either, and the defense is garden variety. However, all of them show flashes of being Pro Bowl caliber.

So - I hope Giant fans can also share this attitude with me - I hope I will not get too outraged at Tom Coughlin's stupidity.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:23 AM

The Giants are in a lot of trouble for 2007. Playoffs are unlikely.

With Tiki and now Strahan gone, it's time for the Giants to seriously consider a major revamping of the roster towards younger talent, which may or may not include finding another quarterback. How many years does Eli have left on his contract?
Old 08-08-2007, 10:40 AM

To my understanding they reworked his contract for the next 5 seasons. It would not make sense to dump a QB that has nearly 50 TDs in his first full two seasons as a starter. Eli will have more help this year at WR, with Toomer and Moss coming back from injuries and with the addition of WR Steve Smith (2nd round pick) who has been very impressive in camp. The Giants have already made roster changes moving toward a younger team (they cut Arrlington, Emmons, Petitgout). Mathias Kiwanuka moving to LB will be one of the biggest question marks on defense. He has the speed/size for LB but will he be able to make the adjustment. The Giants still have a very solid DL even without Straham in the lineup.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
To my understanding they reworked his contract for the next 5 seasons. It would not make sense to dump a QB that has nearly 50 TDs in his first full two seasons as a starter. Eli will have more help this year at WR, with Toomer and Moss coming back from injuries and with the addition of WR Steve Smith (2nd round pick) who has been very impressive in camp. The Giants have already made roster changes moving toward a younger team (they cut Arrlington, Emmons, Petitgout). Mathias Kiwanuka moving to LB will be one of the biggest question marks on defense. He has the speed/size for LB but will he be able to make the adjustment. The Giants still have a very solid DL even without Straham in the lineup.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eli has nearly as many INTs as he does touchdowns.

Care to make a prediction?

P.S. His birth name is Elisha.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw the thread title and thought you wanted to talk about the good old days at the Polo Grounds with John McGraw in the dugout.

I really need to stop obsessively watching Ken Burn's documentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

DA NEW YAWK FOOTBALL GIANTS!
Old 08-08-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Giants are in a lot of trouble for 2007. Playoffs are unlikely.

With Tiki and now Strahan gone, it's time for the Giants to seriously consider a major revamping of the roster towards younger talent, which may or may not include finding another quarterback. How many years does Eli have left on his contract?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants are not going to consciously rebuild. They are going to keep plugging holes until they explode with salary cap problems - then they will rebuild.

I've been a Giants fan for 13 years and never have they committed to a project like this except by sheer accident.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eli has nearly as many INTs as he does touchdowns.

Care to make a prediction?

P.S. His birth name is Elisha.

[/ QUOTE ]

GET OUTTA OUR THREAD REDSKIN FANS