Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 07:43 PM

Default another hand against a foxwoods regular 5-10 NL

This is a hand that I played a little weirdly, but it felt right at the time. Villian is this regular named Dave, who is always there playing 5-10 NL. He seems to think about the game and his opponents a lot (and talks too much), but still screws up a decent amount. He plays pretty straightforward preflop. He probably thinks of me as a solid and somewhat tricky player. Effective stacks $2000.

I limp in from early position with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He raises to $40 from mid position. Everyone else folds and I call (Pot $100).

FLOP: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I make a weak-looking bet of $50 and he calls (Pot $200).

TURN: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet $50 again just because it feels right. He raises to $250. I think for a few seconds and call (Pot $700).

RIVER: Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check. He bets $650. What do I do? At this point I feel like I may have induced him to bluff at me with TT or JJ, but maybe that is wishful thinking. If not, what does he have?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Re: another hand against a foxwoods regular 5-10 NL

Wtf what kind of trainwreck is this.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:20 PM

I figure this would be a bad line against a good player, but keep in mind that I am trying to size my bets to induce a weaker player to stick in a bunch of money as a big underdog. Maybe this is just a "feel" hand. Or maybe I am an idiot. Somebody tell me what I should have done.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I figure this would be a bad line against a good player, but keep in mind that I am trying to size my bets to induce a weaker player to stick in a bunch of money as a big underdog. Maybe this is just a "feel" hand. Or maybe I am an idiot. Somebody tell me what I should have done.

[/ QUOTE ]

what?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:16 PM

this is so gross on every street
Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 PM

i'm assuming you played the hand that way so he would bluff you. you got your wish, you're gonna fold now?

i prob call as played given your description of villain but i would've never played that way in the first place.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 PM

OK, I understand that I am new here and as such I shouldn't expect people to spend a lot of effort trying to explain things to me. However, it is too bad I can't get just a little nugget beyond "I would play every street differently".

I understand I did some wrong things, but are they really much worse in terms of EV than other ways to play the hand? Limping in preflop seems fine for certain types of games. I often like to let someone else do the raising because it makes it much easier for me to put them on a hand range than if they called my raise. And I just don't see why the other streets are so obviously horrible.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:43 AM

You need to bet like a man, not like a scared little girl.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, I understand that I am new here and as such I shouldn't expect people to spend a lot of effort trying to explain things to me. However, it is too bad I can't get just a little nugget beyond "I would play every street differently".

I understand I did some wrong things, but are they really much worse in terms of EV than other ways to play the hand? Limping in preflop seems fine for certain types of games. I often like to let someone else do the raising because it makes it much easier for me to put them on a hand range than if they called my raise. And I just don't see why the other streets are so obviously horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes i'm doing work and i just dont feel like making a good reply

what you just said is wrong. it's not easier to put someone on a hand range by "letting them be the raiser" you want to make people react to you. their hand range is going to be wider raising than calling your raises. there are a number of reasons why you generally want to open pots which i'm not going to enumerate here because frankly they dont belong in the high stakes forum.

changing up your play is fine once in a while but playing like this should not be your general standard philosophy or you're going to get killed in the long run
Old 02-05-2007, 01:37 AM

I dont like the way you played the hand, but if you were trying to induce a bluff from a weaker player then you should call because you got what you wanted.