Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Server 2003 POP3 Email Questions

Hi,

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

O.K. I have a computer running a website and the software that deals with all of the database workings of the site.

The POP3 Email server has never been set up correctly on this computer and I really want it to work. Note: This is the POP3 Email service that is default for Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, not Exchange Server.

I've tried to get it set up a few different times to no avail. When testing in Outlook I sometimes have gotten errors but most recently I get no mail received or sent but no errors in Outlook at all. (I actually had it sending emails but not receiving emails at one point but have no idea what the settings were then).

Today I was looking around online again and am wondering a few things:
1. Do I need to have Active Directory setup?
2. Do I need to have DNS Server setup?

Are there any other things that I may be doing wrong? I'm a total Windows Server noob own a new business so I can't afford to pay someone unless I absolutely have to.

thanks
Old 11-20-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Server 2003 POP3 Email Questions

Wow, dude. You are all over the place here.

Windows server doesn't have a mail server out of the box. It does have a SMTP server, which is the delivery/relay agent to pass messages along.

Honestly, if you don't know what you are doing -- just hook your domain up to google apps for your domain (free) and get a quality email service along with some extras for free.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, dude. You are all over the place here.

Windows server doesn't have a mail server out of the box. It does have a SMTP server, which is the delivery/relay agent to pass messages along.

Honestly, if you don't know what you are doing -- just hook your domain up to google apps for your domain (free) and get a quality email service along with some extras for free.

[/ QUOTE ]

O.K. That's funny. Then why the hell am I seeing the POP3 Service Window? Also, why did I go to "Add Windows Components" and select add "Mail Server (POP3, SMTP)". What the hell are you talking about? It's obvious there is an associated mail server with Server 2003, I've just read about 35 tutorials on the subject, but how is something I've already done (see: point I made about getting emails to go one way already) not possible?

If I'm completely off base here I'd appreciate some insight and help since I have no clue about the apps and etc. for free mentioned in previous post.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 AM

Alrighty, perhaps '03 does come with a simple mail server. Didn't even see that since we run Exchange.

Anyhow, good luck with all that.

My original advice to go with google stands. That way you dont have to deal with
- setting up your DNS.
- backups
- dealing with failures, backup mail server/service
- playing nice with other mail servers so you don't get blacklisted.
- etc, etc, etc.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM

2003 Small Business Server edition comes with a lot of junk in one box.

I can't help you as I have zero experience with 2003 SBS and the POP3 server but I can tell you A) You don't need Active Directory and B) You do not need a DNS server

I'd check Microsoft Technet.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM

thanks

I'll do some more research. Much appreciated guys.