Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

this is a good, sobering blog post for those thinking of making a living at poker:

http://www.shannonshorr.com/myblog/#0,0

Limping through November
November 11, 2007, 11:25 am by Shannon Shorr
It's been a while since the last update. I've been playing online tournaments pretty routinely the last week or so. In short, I've been getting killed. I don't think I made any final tables, and basically you have to do that to make money in online MTT. I have been running much worse than EV though, unfortunately. I've also dabbled in some HU NLHE cash. It started to go well, but things have turned sour in that department too. It's so sick how much NLHE has changed in the last year. I just haven't been able to adjust at all, I guess. Maybe things will turn around. Maybe they won't. I thought I had what it takes to play poker professionally, but I'm starting to doubt myself. One thing is for sure. This game isn't for the weak. All of you kids who are thinking about dropping out of school and doing this...think again. Most of you will be done before you ever even get started. I'm not enjoying playing full-time one bit. I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do. It seems like I'm at the computer so much already. Some of these kids with their 4438957 posts on 2p2 just live so [censored] one-dimensionally. They really get off to this game. There is a very, very good chance that my last hurrah as a poker player will be at Five Diamond later this month. There's so many more interesting things I want to do with my time and money. I liked the person I was before poker a lot more, I think. Who knows though. I've pondered retiring from poker several times as you guys recall, and I've never really left the game. Maybe I'll win Five Diamond for like a million and a half. I've been talking to one of my friends who is an online MTT superstar, and there's a good chance I've been making a fairly fundamental mistake in MTTs. The funny thing about this game is that you always think you're playing perfect poker. I've tried several different strategies this year in live MTTs, and I look back at each of them and think wtf. I've played like a super nit, and the day after busting I tell myself I should've loosened up. I've played like a Swedish maniac and the next day I tell myself I should've played like a nit. Maybe I'm thinking TOO much. I'm playing the Sunday tournaments today. Let's make something happen.
Aside from poker, not too much has been going on. Stephanie and I ran all five days this week. This is something of which I'm very proud. Albeit, each run just averaged 11 minutes. I plan on running five more days next week and hopefully I'll be back in shape in no time. We've also bought groceries and have been eating fairly healthy. The plan is to get back in shape without doing a crash diet like Atkins. We've also rented a bunch of movies and been to the theater at Palms a couple of times. If you haven't seen Even Money or Breach than a highly suggest that you do. Both of these are sick, sick, sick movies. I also enjoyed the animated, Surf's Up. Don't go see Dan in Real Life. It's awful. Steve Carrell is one of the funniest guys in the world, and they give him one funny line in the movie. We went to see Maroon 5 at The Pearl at Palms last night. It was a really great show, although I don't know too much of M5's music. The Pearl is a great place to watch a concert. I think its second only to The Tabernacle in Atlanta as the best place I've ever seen a concert. I'm probably gonna go see Tool one or both nights that they're at Pearl (Dec 13-14), so if there are any metal heads reading that wanna go email me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll be back in Birmingham Tuesday the 20th through Monday the 26th for Thanksgiving, so that should be cool. Until next post...

SS

Old 11-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Shannon Shorr thinking of quitting ...

Is SHannon SHorr like Taylor Caby? Who else posts under their real name besides coincided, suburban frat boys?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:17 PM

and we care because?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:19 PM

I have no idea who Shannon Shorr is but I just read the bio on his blog and he seems like some random guy who went on a hot streak in tournaments and is now being pulled back into reality because he's realized he's not as good at poker as he originally thought. Big deal.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is SHannon SHorr like Taylor Caby? Who else posts under their real name besides coincided, suburban frat boys?

[/ QUOTE ]

yo
Old 11-14-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea who Shannon Shorr is but I just read the bio on his blog and he seems like some random guy who went on a hot streak in tournaments and is now being pulled back into reality because he's realized he's not as good at poker as he originally thought. Big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a douche and thinks he's better than anyone else.

This story gets repeated hundreds if not thousands of times each year.

Step 1: Go deep into a few tournaments when you start out

Step 2: Over estimate your poker and money management capabilities

Step 3: Come to the realization that live tournament poker, after expenses and taxes, is almost impossible to come out ahead on (esp. since losses cannot be carry forward)

Step 4: Wake up to reality and start having a productive life and relationships.

You've got to at least give Shannon props for going through all of these steps on a public forum, whatever his original intentions for doing so were.

SS is a good guy and definetly a good poker player FYI
Old 11-14-2007, 06:29 PM

I perosnally agree with eveyrthing shannon said beside being the sickest upswing of my life. Being a poker pro is not for the faint of heart and def isn't the healthiest lifestyle.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:30 PM

"I probably should dedicate more time to reading/studying the game and players like some guys do. I just don't want to invest any more time into this stupid game than I already do."

Doesn't any good job require this anyway? This might be the worst few lines in any poker blog ever. Hes saying I really want to turn around my results, but I don't want to put in the time or the effort to become better.