Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 AM

Default rookie freerolls

hey

have just deposited on party and can now play these rookie donkaments.

what is the best way to play these donkaments?

my current tactic: shove A10 or better

thanks
Old 07-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: rookie freerolls

If shoving crap like AT is a tactic,good luck.
Might be better to just play poker.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If shoving crap like AT is a tactic,good luck.
Might be better to just play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know it isnt a tactic, what im thinking is that proper poker doesnt win a rookie freeroll donkament actually.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:34 PM

In my experience just playing solid +ev ABC poker tends to fare better that joining in the donking off of chips.

What is that, an if you cant beat em join em strategy?

I know it is the beginner forum but lol at using the word donkament and strategy of pushing A 10 ++ in the same post.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience just playing solid +ev ABC poker tends to fare better that joining in the donking off of chips.

What is that, an if you cant beat em join em strategy?

I know it is the beginner forum but lol at using the word donkament and strategy of pushing A 10 ++ in the same post.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolz, ok i'll just play properly and get drawn out on all the time. it is fun though playing like a donk u all have to agree
Old 07-28-2007, 03:48 PM

If you are getting drawn out on all the time I question your definition af "playing properly".

Are you controlling the odds with your bets?

I see ppl all the time bet 50 into a 500 or 600 pot and flame me when I hit runner runner to make a hand but how can you fold with 10 or 12 to 1 odds? Make solid bets and make your opponent pay to draw out on you.

Also there is no better approach to playing a lower limit tournament than being extremely conservative til 5th or 6th level. All the donkeys that doubled up early will be spewing chips and your value bets almost always get paid off.

Remember the best table image and strategy to have is one opposite of the table you are playing.

On a Tight nitty table I play super aggro, on an ultra agressive table I play conservative ABC poker.

It works.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:49 PM

Concerning yourself with how to play rookie freerolls is a classic case of penny wise, pound foolish thinking. Actually, it's probably not even penny wise. You're far better off training yourself to play a solid game. Your goal - and it's not difficult to achieve - should be to become good enough so such freerolls are no longer "worth it" to play.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Concerning yourself with how to play rookie freerolls is a classic case of penny wise, pound foolish thinking. Actually, it's probably not even penny wise. You're far better off training yourself to play a solid game. Your goal - and it's not difficult to achieve - should be to become good enough so such freerolls are no longer "worth it" to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, thats the goal im aiming for
Old 07-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Remember most of the players in these are 1st level thinkers.
As everone has said just play solid.
Dont make any tricky moves.
Dont try to bluff stations.(probably best to never bluff in these tournies)
Dont bother trying to force drawing hands to fold by giving them incorrect odds to call - they wil call anyway.
Early when blinds are low dont raise 3/4 bb with your monsters after a few limpers-they will all call your raise,big hands=big raises.
Dont slow roll play big hands fast,if you think your ahead get the chips in.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 PM

Because I'm a poor college kid, and recently went busto, I had to resort to playing these freerolls, and did very well playing ABC poker. I would bluff maybe twice during the usual 6 hour event, and it was only when I was very confident that the other player was weak. These can be very good learning opportunities if you stay pretty tight the first hour, and then start playing looser (but smarter) after that. Surprisingly, a lot of people are scared of putting their whole stack at risk when they've invested over an hour of their time. So value bet, value bet, value bet! Use these tourneys to learn how to play correctly, and not use them as gimmicks.

As for finishes, I hit 2nd, 4th, 12th, 25th, and 44th, for a total of $29, which was enough to get me back playing real games.