Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 11:22 PM

Default Quick question about moving down

Ok, I used to 6-table 1/2 party full ring. I was doing ok, but before the ban I started to question my play. I thought I wasn't thinking enough at the tables and wasn't be properly observant. So after the legislation passed I moved to stars and full tilt. On stars I thought I should move down a level or two for a thousand hands or so to get some confidence back, but I am not sure if it is a good move. I played a bit of stars .5/1 and I ran bad, so I moved down to stars .25/.50 and the game was no where near the aggression or tightness of partys .5/1 or 1/2 (or stars .5/1).

Is this move down a bad move? I have the roll to play .5/1 or 1/2 no problem, it was just a confidence thing. But after having a person cap the flop with absolutely nothing against me a few times at .25/.50 I thought it wouldn't really help me for when I move back up. Should I just lower my number of tables at .5/1 and concentrate and post more hands?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Quick question about moving down

If you are really concerned about being observant at the tables, the first thing I would do would be to cut down the number of tables you play, no matter what level you are playing at. If feel you're playing your normal, winning game, (session reviews?) then sticking it out at .5/1 should be fine. If you're not sure if it's bad luck or bad play, dropping down to get things figured out might be a good idea.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:03 AM

I wouldn't be too quick to generalize the type of players at the .25/.5 and .5/1 levels. You'll still run into all kinds, and I believe that you'll run into random plays at .25/.5 and .5/1. I have found stars .5/1 to be fairly normal in regard to play.. Party's .5/1 was tighter than FTP, stars, and paradise. (In my 1000 or so hands I played at party).

I'm actually moving back down to .25/.50 myself. I've built my roll up a bit, but I only have 5,000 limit hands. All at .25/.50 and .5/$1.00 In the interest of grinding more hands out I'm going to take my original stake plus some profit and cash it out; just leaving $150, or 300BB at .25/.50

I figure by the time my BR is back up to $600 I should have close to 20,000 hands and can then seriously think about 1/2 and onward..

-Chry
Old 10-13-2006, 05:34 AM

I am not a normal player in this regard but I move all over the place every month because I pick tables rather than levels.

I range from .25/.50 6 max to 5/10 fr and am rolled for 1/2 6 max (500 bb)

I only multi table when I am playing well, adding one table at a time and only when I can handle the roll, obviously I don't multitable 5/10 with 100bb in the roll.

I think getting married to levels, at this stage in our play, where our objective is to ultimately move up to 5/10 or higher, is not a wise move.

If you plan to stay at the lower lvls and just add tables and grab rakeback and bonus against weak players then sure stay at one level but otherwise,start working on table and game selection skills, you are going to need them eventually.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not a normal player in this regard but I move all over the place every month because I pick tables rather than levels.

I range from .25/.50 6 max to 5/10 fr and am rolled for 1/2 6 max (500 bb)

I only multi table when I am playing well, adding one table at a time and only when I can handle the roll, obviously I don't multitable 5/10 with 100bb in the roll.

I think getting married to levels, at this stage in our play, where our objective is to ultimately move up to 5/10 or higher, is not a wise move.

If you plan to stay at the lower lvls and just add tables and grab rakeback and bonus against weak players then sure stay at one level but otherwise,start working on table and game selection skills, you are going to need them eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes a lot of sense..

man, I made a huge donk move that would never have worked against a good player, so workin the low levels can burn you too..

-Chry