Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 10-24-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Phil Galfond?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He was also on a couple eps of UCP if anyone wants to pull up a link to those. I remember one hand where he lost like a 300k pot to admo.
sweaty phil 33
admo JJ

flop AJ3

admo bets. sweaty phil comes over the top all in. admo says im not good enough to lay this down and calls.

well played?
u tell me...

[/ QUOTE ]

someone find this please?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was the same episode Admo hit a set of queens against Chad Browns pocket aces for another huge pot. Admo made a killin on that show.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:35 AM

this isn't about what's +ev for galfond... it's about what's +ev for gsn
Old 10-24-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He even played JJ passively. Not even raising pre with position on Sammy and Hellmuth?

WTF

I like the guy, I do but I think it was a terrible representation of what he was trying to represent - online high stake balla's

[/ QUOTE ]

You want the guy to re-raise JJ while the entire table is discussing how much of a nit he is???

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, hence what I posted above.

Even Gabe Kaplan commented on it, he blew his chance and won't have helped anymore internet pro's get on the show. At least Brian Townsend had a laugh and gambled it up
Old 10-24-2007, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh...so many issues could have been avoided by challenging Helmuth HU4ROLLZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. PH is notorious for offering to play people for 100k-1M, getting an affirmative response, and then backing down when the guy shows he's not kidding. But it would have at least further outlined how much of a punk PH is.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is that when PH calls him out, if PG challenges him HU4ROLLZ it makes a huge TV moment as PH is called out, and pretty much guarantees PG a spot on Day 3.

[/ QUOTE ]
i sooooo wanted to hear that "HU4ROLLZ PHIL??"

[/ QUOTE ]

I said this to my housemate when we watched it last week and they showed this weeks highlight with Hellmuth on about the stuff about billionaires and PG being a nit.

Ironically challenging PH to HU freezeout would have been massively +EV as he may get the HU match and it increases his chances of being invited back next day.

That said, he was told he was definately playing the next day anyway, and probably didnt want to rock the boat by basically calling PH a pussy.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Sigh...so many issues could have been avoided by challenging Helmuth HU4ROLLZ

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. PH is notorious for offering to play people for 100k-1M, getting an affirmative response, and then backing down when the guy shows he's not kidding. But it would have at least further outlined how much of a punk PH is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never on TV though, i don't think?
Old 10-24-2007, 05:45 AM

wow its really lame how much you donks hate on someone. Did you watch some of that play? That was some of the worst poker I've ever seen at any stakes. Phil thought he had the seat locked up in probably the juiciest lineup he will ever a chance to play at stakes that high. I'm sure if he knew he was risking that seat he would have shown some gamble to make sure he would get the seat.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow its really lame how much you donks hate on someone. Did you watch some of that play? That was some of the worst poker I've ever seen at any stakes. Phil thought he had the seat locked up in probably the juiciest lineup he will ever a chance to play at stakes that high. I'm sure if he knew he was risking that seat he would have shown some gamble to make sure he would get the seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

should have gambled some anyway(he would have had no trouble at all selling action if he fell below 500k)
Old 10-24-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

should have gambled some anyway(he would have had no trouble at all selling action if he fell below 500k)

[/ QUOTE ]
lol.. wouldnt even cross his mind to sell action with that lineup.. he had a deal about getting in the 500k buyin

anyway this is his job, imo it was a bad "job interview" as he should have known that the nitty play/no talking would get him off the air pretty fast even after the 500k buyin unless he made a million on J high or something like that.. i dont understand why he didnt think of that, as a good poker player he should do anything to be in the game
Old 10-24-2007, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol.. wouldnt even cross his mind to sell action with that lineup.. he had a deal about getting in the 500k buyin

anyway this is his job, imo it was a bad "job interview" as he should have known that the nitty play/no talking would get him off the air pretty fast even after the 500k buyin unless he made a million on J high or something like that.. i dont understand why he didnt think of that, as a good poker player he should do anything to be in the game

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you people actually retarded? He did "do anything to be in the game." He played tighter than he probably would have liked so he could honor his commitment to play on day 3. You think for one second he wouldn't have put 500k on THAT table if he didn't already commit to day 3 for 500? The lineup had Jamie Gold and Sam Farha ffs.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:51 PM

I think it is important to know what game you are playing. This was more than just some fill-in cash game killing time for a few hours.

It was an audition and an opportunity to potentially opening himself up to winning a lot more money in the long run. He seems confident in his abilities against a lot of these players.... but he blew an opportunity to get more chances and exposure to play with them...

So in essence he was not playing the game that was at the table. If that meant he was playing -EV and dropped 150k loosing it up, so what.. if he really felt he could take these players it would have been more than worth it.

Defending him because he made the right technical moves for any generic hand of poker does not defend him for the mistakes he made in the bigger picture.

I suspect even if he never played on Day 2 he was not going to get the call on Day 3. The same Pros would have pushed him out.

Carpe Diem.

Perhaps there was no real opportunity there and perhaps he would have just lost money in the long run getting into that circle. He doesn't give the impression he felt that way... so again, if that was the case, he played it all wrong. Doesn't matter how many hours, how many hands or anything else.