Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Checking flopped set oop against TAG on bubble

Villian has been pretty tight preflop but totally agro postflop betting at most if not all flops. 24 people remain with the $ at 20

Ultimate Bet
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t200./t400.
(Ante: t50)
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t4660
UTG+1: t14370
MP1: t17750
Hero: t4725
MP3: t13815
CO: t20945
Button: t8635
SB: t13930
BB: t12465

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is MP2 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t1100</font>, MP3 calls t1100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t2150)</font>, 4 folds.

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t3250, 2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks.

I checked here with the intention of shoving his raise, which I was almost certain he would do...

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t3250, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero ??</font>,

At this point I still feel I probably have the best hand as really I'm only worried about AQ or a possible flush draw as I think he would have reraised preflop with TT+

Raise with the intention of calling a shove? or just push now? Should I not be stealing with 44 from the hijack with only 12bbs? With 10 or fewer I just open shove this preflop but here I felt that a raise would take it down preflop unless one of them woke up with a real hand at which point I could be fairly sure I was beat.

-junyor
Old 09-24-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Checking flopped set oop against TAG on bubble

First of all, you have under 12 BBs so I see this as push or fold pre-flop. I don't hate either, but I think I'd push with the antes on the table. And I disagree that you'll always be behind a caller -- depending on the buyin, you're likely to get calls from AK - AT hands and racing here would be fine.

As played: since you nailed the flop, I'm doing everything in my power to double up here and not worry about pricing out draws or anything like that. Given your stack, you're unlikely to get too deep in this tourney without doubling soon. This will be your best chance... if he ends up drawing out on you, it sucks but so be it.

So I like the flop check given your description of villain.

On the turn, I'd lead small and hope that he raises me all in. If he folds to the small bet, it's unlikely you would have gotten anything out of him on the river anyway.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, I'd lead small and hope that he raises me all in. If he folds to the small bet, it's unlikely you would have gotten anything out of him on the river anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like 700, something that will make him think you may fold to a shove.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 PM

moving right along then...

<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t1200</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises to t6850</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in t3575</font>.
Uncalled bets: t2075 returned to MP3.

River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t12800, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: t12800)

Results:
Final pot: t12800

Pretty much exactly what I wanted him to do.

So in retrospect is shoving preflop better then raising and playing a flop? Seems tricky in the 12-15bb range where that line is at.

Villian had AQ but even if I was 100% certain this is what he would show after the turn raise I'm still calling with odds to fill up on the river.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So in retrospect is shoving preflop better then raising and playing a flop? Seems tricky in the 12-15bb range where that line is at.

[/ QUOTE ]

The trouble with raising and playing a flop with 44 is that every flop has overs to your hand. So you can't just raise 25% of your stack and fold most of the time. That's what makes this a shove/fold spot.

As played the goal is get the money in however you see best against the opponent in the hand. Since you aren't folding no matter what hits the turn and he probably has the odds to call with whatever draw he has anyway checking looks good to me on the flop. Let's give him the chance to bet some hands that can't call a raise on the flop by us.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:06 PM

I shove or fold pre...there's no need to slowplay this hand on the flop. U have open-raised for 25% of your stack (which looks very strong), so u should be c-betting 100% of the time. If you don't get anymore action, you still have incresed your stack by almost 50%.

As played just shove turn.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:20 AM

dude LOL at your preflop