Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Email from PPA - My Congressman supports bill??

I got this email from the PPA just now.....
A Message from PPA Chairman
The Honorable Alfonse D'Amato

Dear Fellow PPA Member:

As your chairman, it brings me great pride to report that your Member of Congress has agreed to co-sponsor HR 2046. Your grassroots efforts are making an enormous difference!

HR 2046 was introduced on April 26, 2007 by House Financial Services Committee Chairman Rep. Barney Frank. If HR 2046 becomes law, online poker will be safe, secure and regulated. The bill would create stringent licensing to ensure that poker players and consumers are protected.

Thanks to the great work of grassroots poker activists like you, your Member of Congress is now a co-sponsor of HR 2046. Now, we really need to show your Representative that we appreciate this important gesture of support.

Please take a moment to send your U.S. Representative a brief "Thank You" note, by clicking here or below. As a former Senator, I can tell you that lawmakers need to hear this kind of positive feedback to assure them that the voters back in their district support their efforts.

Please click below to send your Thank-You note today. And stay tuned for more updates as Congress continues to move closer to protecting our rights to play the great game of poker. Together, we will prevail!

Sincerely,
PPA Chairman

Anyone else get this? Before I fall over thanking him I would like to know if it's true. Anyone know how I can find this out?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Email from PPA - My Congressman supports bill??

Just look here at the list of cosponsors for the bill and see if your Rep is on there.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As your chairman, it brings me great pride to report that your Member of Congress has agreed to co-sponsor HR 2046.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely this auto reply is determined by your zip code. Call your rep and verify its true, if yes, then thank them.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:56 PM

It's a croc. He's not on the list and I checked his own web site list of legislation that he has introduced or co-sponsored.
PPA is making me sad now. :-(
Old 06-07-2007, 05:56 PM

Who is your rep?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is on the side of liberty, at least on this issue. I don't know much else about him.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:32 PM

At least they're sending mail. I received this one:

Dear Fellow PPA Member:

As your chairman, it brings me great pride to report that HR 2046 is beginning to move through the legislative process. Your grassroots efforts are making an enormous difference!

HR 2046 was introduced on April 26, 2007 by House Financial Services Committee Chairman Rep. Barney Frank. If HR 2046 becomes law, online poker will be safe, secure and regulated. The bill would create stringent licensing to ensure that poker players and consumers are protected.

Thanks to the great work of grassroots poker activists like you, HR 2046 will have a hearing in the House Financial Services Committee on Friday, June 8th. But your Representative, who is a member of this important committee, still has not agreed to cosponsor this common-sense reform bill. correctly stated

Please take a moment - right now, before the hearing on Friday June 8th - to call your Representative. Please ask them to attend the Friday hearing so they can learn more about this important subject.

As a former Senator, I can tell you that lawmakers need to hear this kind of feedback. They need to know what the voters back home are thinking.

Please call the Capitol switchboard at 202-225-3121. Give the operator your ZIP code and you will be connected to your Representative's office. Tell them: I called

- You are a constituent and voter in the district (they may ask for your address to confirm that you live in the district. Please furnish this information if they ask.)

- You support HR 2046 to protect your rights to play poker online

- Ask your Representative to attend the hearing on Friday, learn more about the issue, and support and cosponsor HR 2046.

And stay tuned for more updates, as Congress continues to move closer to protecting our rights to play the great game of poker. Together, we will prevail!

Sincerely,

PPA Chairman
Old 06-08-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is on the side of liberty, at least on this issue. I don't know much else about him.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 06-08-2007, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Former Republican Senator from NY. Nicknamed "Senator Pothole"

Read about him here.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 PM

Strange that Jim McDermott would cosponsor the bill when his state made it a felony to play online poker to appease the Indian gambling interests. I guess maybe the jails in Washington aren't overcrowded and they are looking to fill cells.