Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Borgata 10 25

I am @ Borgata on the 10/25 list waiting for a game to start. Taking the shot I have been mulling over recently. based on some advice from folks here I will be buying in for $2500. If I am short so be it. I will post a complete trip report tonight when I am on a PC (this typing on the treo is for the birds!).
wish me luck grinders!!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Borgata 10 25

Good luck samich. play your normal game. don't let the increase in stakes affect your approach to the game in any way.

Stay focused and profit...
Old 03-24-2007, 01:37 PM

god bless and good luck my friend. cant wait for a report.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM

Well that sucked!
If I could choose only one word to describe this long awaited foray into this game, the word undoubtedly would be disaster with a capital 'D'. If you do not want to hear about some really bad play (mostly by me) do not read on, I warn you, it's pretty ugly.
After waiting a little over an hour they got a game going from a full board + about two or three people. The Sat. tourney had almost 600 entries and there were tables all throughout the room. I always think it's kind of interesting to see a $300 tourney player sitting next to a 150/300 stud table with 100k in cash on it but that's just my weird sense of humor.
Anyway on to the game. Minimum buy in for this game is $2500 which is what I bought. One other player also started with this amount and everyone else was deeper. Average stacks were about 5k and one guy bought in for 10k. Borg charges $9 per half in rent, which is actually a pretty good deal considering the stakes. It wasn't too long before I got into my first hand. Not being disciplined enough to fold AA is an expensive habit at this table and I called of $800 of my stack to flopped 2 pr. AA proved to be no better when playing against the deep stack who was happy to call me down to the river to make his flush draw and all of a sudden I am down to about $1300. The next hand that I got involved with really should have been the final warning to me that I did not belong on this game, but instead it sealed my fate. Dealt QQ 2nd to act I call UTG's raise to $125. Five other people call. Flop is 733 and UTG leads out. Sitting here now I cannot tell you wtf was in my mind, but I fold. Every hand I had played so far I had made terrible reads and I didn't want to call down again to see UTG flip over two sevens. When the Q hit on the turn I knew it. It was down to two players, and the original raiser check raised a $700 bet, induced a fold, and then showed a lone Q. Bye bye 4k pot. I was so frustrated I did something that I never do and announced to him (but loud enough for the other player to hear) that I knew he had AQ and that I folded QQ. Bad form, pure frustration and nothing else. I was put out my misery by the deep stack when I moved in, with of all things, QQ to a flop suited in diamonds. The river diamond gave me the Q high flush. A pretty nice hand, unless of course your opponent is holding the A of diamonds.
So all in all it was a complete and utter failure. I have been playing long enough so that I can handle a little bad run of cards, and I can handle NOT being the best player at the table by avoiding situations where I think someone can outplay me in a questionable spot. Having 5 or 6 people who were clearly much better players than I AND hitting a tough run of cards was just too much for this rookie. I've played in some games before that even losing a bit or breaking even I have walked away from saying wow, I hope I can get into that game again. Not this time. Not sure but it may be a while before I play at all again. I can't imagine how to regain my confidence after taking a beating like that.

Cliff notes.
I play 10/25NL at Borgata and lose my arse.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 AM

sorry to hear ham.

I'm sure it isn't going to put you in the poor house, but losing during a one-buy in shot always stings. just curious what are your normal stakes?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the report, glad you had the balls to tell it, and be honest about your play....kudos
Old 03-26-2007, 11:20 AM

MPA. I will still eat and remain indoors this month..lol
The hit is worse than the $$$ though. This is my first 4 figure loss and I really feel like I was outplayed so badly on every hand that my confidence right now is at zero. I usually play 2/5 <> 5/10 and have NEVER had such a bad exp. at any table. Bad beats happen and there are certainly players out there better than myself, but as I said I'm at least good enough so I can usually identify them and use extra caution when entering pots with them. This table was the first time I was the fish in a long time and it has impacted me in a big way. There is no question I made a mistake here.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Sorry to hear that you took a nasty loss...though I do think you're underestimating the one upside - its a reality check. Poker is still hard and making money is not guaranteed.

I've had a few spankings similar to this in my poker career, they are a part of the game, albeit the part I try to avoid.

My best advice for next time is play small and focus on your basics and fundamentals. ABC poker and work through the confidence issues.

Am sure I've run into you at the tables too, and that you were the other decent player too.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 AM

Wait, you play 2/5 and 5/10 and have never had a 4 figure loss???!?!?!? wow, you must run good..
Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, you play 2/5 and 5/10 and have never had a 4 figure loss???!?!?!? wow, you must run good..

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah..WTF at never losing a buy-in at 5/10...obv you don't play very much.