Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Holdem SSNL Discussion

I'm a LL NL player (live) who prefers buying in with 100+bb's but I've recently moved and my primary game will be more LA style... 2/5 with 300 max buyin. I was hoping for your thoughts on how PNLH might address strategy for players such as myself that are forced to buy in relatively short stacked.
Thanks
Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Found Joe Tall's review on amazon. He's already killing poker after reading the book even though he's sucked for 7 years. LMAO.

[/ QUOTE ]
leveled?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a personal joke between Matt, Sunny, Ed and I as it says I was impotent for 7 years before reading the book! But I'm glad you enjoyed my review! The book is a must!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

we also explain how it works better if everyone has deep stacks (by deep we mean 200+, but around 150bb it starts shifting towards being easier for top pair hands).

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case why not just start minraising instead of making it 3.5BB? [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

'Cause players like me love to 3-bet minraisers with 100% of their normal (i.e. considerably large) pfr range? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
or opt to play a smaller preflop pot

[/ QUOTE ]

it's actually pretty rare that we have this option. if i limp into a pot, so often a player acting after me will raise, many times even with hands that they would have folded had i raised.

[/ QUOTE ]

if he raises you have the option to play a bigger pot, still avoiding the dangerous middle ground of SPR.

further, if he's raising with such a broad range, you're ahead and want that bigger pot unless you'll lose more than your share of the games of chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]

You will lose more than your share, because usually that raiser with a wide range has position.

Let's say you limp with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the button raises with a wide range, in fact, so wide that you are ahead of it.

a) it's seriously -EV to play this hand against him in this pot if he's any good, especially if the pot is heads-up
b) it's seriously -EV to 3-bet this hand now
Old 07-26-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You will lose more than your share, because usually that raiser with a wide range has position.

Let's say you limp with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the button raises with a wide range, in fact, so wide that you are ahead of it.

a) it's seriously -EV to play this hand against him in this pot if he's any good, especially if the pot is heads-up

[/ QUOTE ]

JTs is not normally a hand you play to make top pair and commit, so the reasoning i gave does not apply.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 PM

For Matt or Sunny,

I found the example on page 128 interesting. I'm very curious as to what size raise you guys recommend with a pot of $39 (minus rake) after villain bets and we have $190 left with A7d on a Qh-6d-5d-8c board? Is 4.75x pot definitely too much to jam with?

Btw, great book from what I've read so far, and I feel like it's just what I needed to help me transition to playing more NL.

Edit:

I guess instead we should say we have about 3x pot (after we call). So a jam is definitely OK I think. But I'm really struggling with this one because of our likely ranges. We want a fold, but that's fairly obvious to our opponent as well. So either way you look at it, it's a balancing act. Really curious to hear some discussion on this one.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if I personally had to pinpoint "easy stack stack size targets"

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:30 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Bilbo-san,

I like the way you're thinking, but as Matt said, JTs is just not a very strong top pair hand. Make the hand AJs or AQs and I don't think your two qualms ring true.

-S
Old 07-27-2007, 10:35 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

[ QUOTE ]
For Matt or Sunny,

I found the example on page 128 interesting. I'm very curious as to what size raise you guys recommend with a pot of $39 (minus rake) after villain bets and we have $190 left with A7d on a Qh-6d-5d-8c board? Is 4.75x pot definitely too much to jam with?

Btw, great book from what I've read so far, and I feel like it's just what I needed to help me transition to playing more NL.

Edit:

I guess instead we should say we have about 3x pot (after we call). So a jam is definitely OK I think. But I'm really struggling with this one because of our likely ranges. We want a fold, but that's fairly obvious to our opponent as well. So either way you look at it, it's a balancing act. Really curious to hear some discussion on this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi kpr16,

So long as you don't make a little donk raise, I don't think it matters a whole lot what exact amount you choose to raise to - pretty much whatever you think maximizes your fold equity. You'll be committed at that point anyway.

-S
Old 07-27-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if I personally had to pinpoint "easy stack stack size targets"

[/ QUOTE ]

What does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

oops, writing "stack" twice was a misprint....I just meant specific stack size amounts that are "easy"....check out my response to TT earlier in this thread for more elaboration...