Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 04:31 PM

Default cash out curse on Stars

I am playing for 1 year now almost daily at Pokerstars and currently having a bad run.

Recently i send an email to Pokerstars about my bad run and told them i've had a feeling that after i win a tournament or after i cash out, i get either bad cards or when i get a hand like KK its always against AA. Or when i hit a set i get rivered by a flush/straight. And it always seems like i am loosing the coinflips when i'm ahead at important moments.

as a reply i get the following email:

The "cashout curse" is one of the oldest legends of online poker,
specifically players believing that you are "punished" for cashouts,
and tend to do worse after cashing out.

The myth of the cashout curse was discussed in Card Player magazine.
You can read the article at:

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/13994

Simply put, sheer math indicates that any time you lower your bankroll
in a game that has variance, you increase your chances of going broke.
Factor in the natural impulse to get worried when you run a bit short
on playing bankroll, and it all adds up to a situation where when you
leave yourself underfunded for your games, you may see your results
get worse.

If you have further questions about this, please don't hesitate to
contact us.

Regards,

Jacob
PokerStars Support Team

After reading the article on Cardplayer.com on the link the have send me i saw the name of the author: Lee H. Jones.

This guy is if im correct the manager of Pokerstars.

How can i ever believe an article wich convinced me about the "cash out curse" if the author is the guy who is ripping me off???

Please give your opinions on what you think about this.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Default Re: cash out curse on Stars

Lee Jones isn't the manager of poker stars anymore.

If the article brings up some good points about the cashout curse why does it matter who wrote it?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 PM

"An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument to the person", "argument against the man") consists of replying to an argument or factual claim by attacking or appealing to the person making the argument or claim, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument or producing evidence against the claim. It is most commonly used to refer specifically to the ad hominem abusive, or argumentum ad personam, which consists of criticizing or personally attacking an argument's proponent in an attempt to discredit that argument.
[...]
Ad hominem arguments are always invalid in syllogistic logic, since the truth value of premises is taken as given, and the validity of a logical inference is independent of the person making the inference."
Old 08-27-2007, 05:23 PM

While I dont believe in the cashout curse I do find it funny that they use that article as a reference.
That's like walking up to a 3 card monte game and asking the owner/operator if it's a legit game and he says of course it is, can't you read my cardboard sign "Not a Scam U dam Fool!!", thus convincing you to try your luck!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 PM

the variance part is absolute bull...i posted in a thread(still loosing on stars) a few hours ago that i noticed that pattern as well...everytime i cash out from ps or claim my cash rewards for my fpp i have 2-3 really bad days and unlimited bad beats...i usually leave in my account around 40 BI for my games hence i don't understand how variance could be possibly involved with this...i never went broke but under normal circumstances if i dont cash out or get money from ps in any way there is no chance i loose 10-12 BI per day for a few on the trot which is what happens when i do...i really hope this never happens to me again cause i will start believing its not a coincidence anymore....
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM

fwiw
the cashout curse on FT is waaaaaaay worse than on Stars.
lol
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 PM

There is a doomsday switch on stars, but if you had money to cash out, clearly you werent a victim of it!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw
the cashout curse on FT is waaaaaaay worse than on Stars.
lol

[/ QUOTE ]
No doubt, stars is just straight up rigged all the time, at FT you have to cash out before being doomswitched.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the variance part is absolute bull...i posted in a thread(still loosing on stars) a few hours ago that i noticed that pattern as well...everytime i cash out from ps or claim my cash rewards for my fpp i have 2-3 really bad days and unlimited bad beats...i usually leave in my account around 40 BI for my games hence i don't understand how variance could be possibly involved with this...i never went broke but under normal circumstances if i dont cash out or get money from ps in any way there is no chance i loose 10-12 BI per day for a few on the trot which is what happens when i do...i really hope this never happens to me again cause i will start believing its not a coincidence anymore....

[/ QUOTE ]

Please report your belief of an international criminal fraud operating at PokerStars to your local police force. This is a serious criminal allegation you are making.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:41 PM

I've made one deposit lifetime at FTP, for $1,000. I made my first withdraws early last month (July), three checks of $5,000 each for a total of $15,000.

I made it all back later on in the month. Cash out curse/riggedness is [censored].