Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Who banned Clarkmeister?

I don't like the idea of girls pictures with "how I banged her" stories without their consent. It's pretty low.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 PM

Mat,

"Is there anybody who wants to defend these posts before Mason makes a ruling?"

I think the threads are awesome and love reading them when they have pics.

Like, nation's thread a while back, for example. I thought it was super classless for sure and super offensive to the girl pictured, far worse IMO than making some light insults against a blind guy. But I also thought it was an awesome thread, and the pics definitely are a large part of what made it awesome.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:36 PM

Which brings us back to my hands off policy.
And to our lawyer's advice that we don't worry too much about this stuff until a request is made.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish.

Most of the decisions made by everybody on this site with clickety powers are subjective.

You asked if mason would want mods to ban people who made posts more offensive than clark's post. Well obviously the answer is yes. However, we're talking again about subjectivity. As you and I established before, we find different things to be more or less "offensive".

And this is also why I think we're forced to either sanitize and destroy the site or address things case by case. I personally don't see a better solution.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the idea of girls pictures with "how I banged her" stories without their consent. It's pretty low.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I don't disagree with this, threads like that with pics are like 7000% more interesting with some pics of the person in question. The problem is, this is a male-dominated site (heh, the demographic poll I did for The Lounge was something like 110 out of 116 posters were male, and that's one of the "gentler" forums on this site) so this comes off as misogynistic.

In short I would hate to see them go, but would understand the reasons for doing so.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-20-2007, 10:46 PM

VR, eme:

See. I'm a pretty sensitive guy!
Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 PM

Mat,

"I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish."

I'm not really trying to accomplish anything.

I just like logic and order and stuff.

And I like knowing what sort of standards the people in charge think site users should be held to.

Based on this information from Mason, it feels to me like the standard that mods have been holding users to is quite a bit lower than the standard Mason would like to hold users to. I think that is good information for mods to know.

If there's anything I'm trying to accomplish, perhaps it's having less stuff on the site that I find personally offensive. I haven't been very vocal about this crap in the past because it's not a big deal for me to just ignore it - most of it occurs in forums I don't frequent. But there is stuff I see from time to time that I'd rather not.

I don't care enough to lead any sort of charge against it, but if Mason says that he doesn't want it around, then I'm happy to point that out and have mods enforce those standards.

Ironically, the first totally classless stuff that I pointed out just happens to be stuff that I generally find to be pretty damn entertaining. But that doesn't change the fact that I still think it's pretty classless and wrong.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:57 PM

El D,

I'd prefer you just drop this whole thing. Not only is it poking the bear that is Mason, but it risks creating a LOT of poster backlash in some of the most viewed forums. Not to mention making modding those forms exponentially tougher.

We get it, you're basically using the Clark ban as an example of how far worse things go on in the forums. To take one misguided ban and use it as a tool to change everything just to show Mason how bad that ban was is ridiculous.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:00 PM

Can we just not [censored] with a system that works fine?
Old 09-20-2007, 11:02 PM

tug,

I'm not kidding at all when I say that I would enjoy 2+2 more if the bar of conduct was higher. That's a big part of the reason EDF even exists. But I've never been one to push real hard on what goes on in forums I'm not part of. But if Mason is in favor of conduct on the site being closer to what I would personally prefer, hey, I'm all for it.