Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Re: Who banned Clarkmeister?

[ QUOTE ]
But if Mason is in favor of conduct on the site being closer to what I would personally prefer, hey, I'm all for it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Right. This would probably mortally hurt BBV4L and do measurable damage to OOT. Aren't those the two biggest forums? The thing is, I don't think Mason pays too much attention to the forums so long as he's not getting sued, but he's a super polite guy who may be horrified or at the very least offended if he actually opened them. So why bring it to his attention? As Gildwulf expertly writes:

[ QUOTE ]
Can we just not [censored] with a system that works fine?

[/ QUOTE ]
El D, your forum is awesome but I don't visit it much. More importantly it doesn't butter the bread that pays this site's bills.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 PM

tug,

"More importantly it doesn't butter the bread that pays this site's bills."

How do you think changing standards of conduct are going to hurt the strat forums or the foreign language forums?

"I don't think Mason pays too much attention to the forums so long as he's not getting sued, but he's a super polite guy who may be horrified or at the very least offended if he actually opened them. So why bring it to his attention?"

Dude, that makes zero sense. It's Mason's site and he clearly cares about what's on it. If he would rather not have certain content on his site and sacrifice a few ad bucks for that, that's his decision to make.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, that makes zero sense. It's Mason's site and he clearly cares about what's on it. If he would rather not have certain content on his site and sacrifice a few ad bucks for that, that's his decision to make.

[/ QUOTE ]
Mason almost certainly doesn't visit most forums on this site, he trusts that Mat and Ryan will alert him to any concerns and otherwise lets them do their thing. The Clarkmeister thing, he probably views the TC forum because of his friends. Plus it's a generally polite forum.

If I owned a site and had trusted people working for me who managed around a hundred mods on the lookout for infractions, the last thing I'd be doing is micromanaging everything. You saying Mason delegating to others makes "zero sense" is invalidated by this fact. He should be doing this!

It may be ironic, but the best thing for Mason is to NOT know what goes on in some of the forums. Yet here we are, bringing it to his attention. Also:

[ QUOTE ]
How do you think changing standards of conduct are going to hurt the strat forums or the foreign language forums?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares? People aren't out of line in them anyway. It won't change them but it will impact the MORE POPULAR FORUMS.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 PM

fwiw, I have always expressed, and still will, my hate for threads like the one El D has pointed out. I don't know what the obsession with 2+2 posters and [censored] with people's personal lives is, but it really shouldn't be encouraged.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I have always expressed, and still will, my hate for threads like the one El D has pointed out. I don't know what the obsession with 2+2 posters and [censored] with people's personal lives is, but it really shouldn't be encouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]
People like living vicariously through others. The effing with their personal lives is a problem though, I agree, but is easily handled if the OP isn't a total moron.

Also, you should post pics of your girlfriend in this thread. We're mods, we won't do anything but compliment you for your fine taste. Plus we'll know definitively it's not a dude. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what the obsession with 2+2 posters and [censored] with people's personal lives is, but it really shouldn't be encouraged.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest the 'I had sex with so-and-so' threads bore me to death, except when they're written by GeorgiaAvenue. (Interestingly enough, he's never asked for 'pics plz' because he writes so well.) Plus, i'm not a big fan of kissing and telling, so I guess i'm playing the devil's advocate here.

I can't really see how these threads are legally, morally or ethically wrong. Hypothetically, if poster X has sex with girl Y, takes pictures of girl Y with his camera, and chooses to share with a forum, how is this wrong? He's telling a story about his life. Is there something i'm missing?

Obviously we're not talking about 'trainwrecks' or obscene photos.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:02 AM

tug,

"You saying Mason delegating to others makes "zero sense" is invalidated by this fact."

I didn't say that made zero sense. I said that your point made zero sense.

Anyhow, you missed my point completely in both areas.

1: "the best thing for Mason is to NOT know what goes on in some of the forums. Yet here we are, bringing it to his attention."

Please explain why you think that is true. I disagree 100%.

2: "Who cares? People aren't out of line in them anyway. It won't change them but it will impact the MORE POPULAR FORUMS."

Please rank in order which forums will be responsible for the most revenue to 2+2: a) BBV/OOT/etc b) strat forums c) foreign language forums. It sounds like you think a) is most important. My guess is that a) will be a distant third. But regardless of that, if Mason is willing to sacrifice a few ad revenue dollars to increase the level of class on these forums, that's his decision, not yours.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:06 AM

CC,

"I can't really see how these threads are legally, morally or ethically wrong."

I think a good case can be made that it's a violation of privacy based on reasonably expected levels of privacy.

However, my main point re: those threads is simply that I think they show a complete lack of class.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:46 AM

I'd like it noted that since I took over BBV4L I think there's more threads about me that threads about pictures of chicks posters banged.

If that's the one specific thing we want not to happen, I can work to get a rule in place. BBV4L might actually understand it.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 AM

fine i wont do it anymore gawd im not a bad person or at least i dont want to be one