Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 01:26 AM

Default which seat?

If it were possible to calculate the total net loss at every poker poker seat (#1-#9) at every 9 handed holdem game (limit and NL) which seat would have the least total net loss? why do you think so?

Note: I wouldn't post this if I didn't think a specific seat is better than the others. Additionally I think seat #1 has the largest total Net Loss
Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: which seat?

Brick - I assume you are specifically talking about a live game, and I correct? I think i get where your coming from with seat one and 9, but other than that I think this is a question without an answer.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:52 AM

It's possible that the seats across from the dealer lose more than the other seats because it is harder to see your opponents from that vantage point. That just a total guess though, and I doubt the difference in -EV is all that great in total.

EDIT: In Stud games the last seat might do the best because they get to see everyone else's upcard on 3rd street as it is dealt before they have to look at their own. For some people this might make it easier to notice/remember what is out.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:11 AM

To the extent that there would be any difference observed, it would be because good players tend to choose certain seats more than others, not because of the inherent advantages to any seat. Of course, a good player will presumably have reasons to prefer the seat he chooses, but the actual effects of the seat will be dwarfed by the difference in other skills.

I personally like the 2 seat best (usually playing in 10-handed games). It is mostly for comfort, but I'd rather be on the dealer's side naturally facing other players than on the players' side facing the dealer. And I don't like the 1 (or the 10) because the dealer crowds me and often completely blocks the view of the the 10 (or the 1).
Old 10-24-2007, 02:15 AM

I generally play 10 handed games. In a 10 handed game, I prefer the 3 and 8 seat, am OK with the 5 or 6, not great with the 2-4-7-9, and will always get a seat change out of the 1 or 10. This is completely vision oriented. I like to see all the action.

In a 9 handed game, that probably means I like the 3 and 7, don't mind the 4-5-6, don't care for the 2/8, and always seat change out of the 1 or 9. Might not like the 4 or 6 though.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:21 AM

Wherever you can see what's most important to you is where you need to sit. If your vision is bad, you need to be close to the board cards. If your vision is OK, you want to see all the players. Agree with you that 1 and 9 are bad, but some guys love them.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If it were possible to calculate the total net loss at every poker poker seat (#1-#9) at every 9 handed holdem game (limit and NL) which seat would have the least total net loss? why do you think so?

Note: I wouldn't post this if I didn't think a specific seat is better than the others. Additionally I think seat #1 has the largest total Net Loss

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, since everybody on this board is a winning player, your question ought to be which seat wins the least. Obviously no seats are losers when held down by our poker guru tushes.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 AM

Sorry, talking about a B&M live game only. I understand it's without a provable answer but worth speculating about.
Here are my thoughts about each seat. If you’re a good B&M player and don’t telegraph your moves then you can ignore your opponents ability to see you. Surprisingly seat 6 wins.

Seat #1)
Looking Left: A+ (The best view of the 3 players to the left. From this spot 3 seats are very easy to see with peripheral vision. Best view looking left tied with the 6 seat.)
Sight of Cards: A
Opp. ability to look left and see you: A+ (No players can see you)
View of Action: F (Tough to see action coming because dealer is in the way. This may cause errors like cold calling instead of 3-betting.)

Seat #2)
Looking Left: A- (Good view of 2 almost 3 players)
Sight of Cards: B
Opp. ability to look left and see you: A- (One player can easily see you)
View of Action: A+ (Best view of whole table, tied with 3, 8, 9.)

Seat #3)
Looking Left: B (Good view of two players)
Opp. ability to look left and see you: B (Two players can easily see you)
View of Action: A+ (Best view of whole table, tied with 2, 8, 9.)

Seat #4)
Looking Left: C (Can only see one or two players easily)
Opp. ability to look left and see you: F (Three players can easily see you.)
View of Action: A- (Decent view of table, little tough to see seat #6.)

Seat #5)
Looking Left: B (Ok view of 2 players)
Sight of Cards: A+
Opp. ability to look left and see you: B (Two players have good view of you with peripheral vision)
View of Action: A (Good view of table.)

Seat #6)
Looking Left: A (The best view of the 3 players to the left. From this spot 3 seats are very easy to see with peripheral vision. Best view looking left tied with the 1 seat.)
Opp. ability to look left and see you: A (One players has ok view of you with peripheral vision. One has poor view.)
View of Action: A- (Decent view of table, little tough to see seat #4.)

Seat #7)
Looking Left: B (Only two seats in immediate view.)
Opp. ability to look left and see you: B+ (Two players have ok view of you with peripheral vision.)

Seat #8)
Looking Left: D (One seat in immediate view)
Opp. ability to look left and see you: B (Two players have good view of you with peripheral vision.)

Seat #9)
Looking Left: F (Worst spot to look left.)
Opp. ability to look left and see you: F (Three players can see you easily.)
View of Action: C (Tough to see seat 1 and 2)
Old 10-24-2007, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Surprisingly seat 6 wins.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the analysis doesn't matter because the best seat in the house is to the left of the guy who you can abuse religiously through isolation when you have position on him. The money in poker generally flows to the left, so the best seat is fluid depending on where the producer sits. This factor far ought-weighs the decision process based on visibility IMHO.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM

I usually play at 10-handed tables. I prefer #2, #3, #8, and #9. I feel like I can see a lot without turning my head much. I also feel like I have the most room. If I'm first to a new table opening, I'll take #9, because I'm cheap, but not cheap enough to take #10, which I don't like.

Of course, I'll happily move to if I gather some info that leads me to believe I'd be better off in another seat.