Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Dateline NBC \"to catch a predator\", possible entrapment?

"Attempted murder? Please. They don't give out Nobel Prizes for attempted chemistry!"

Anyway, someone pointed out in another thread about this show that another problem with the way these stings are carried out is that the people pretending to be 13 year-olds are adults, and despite all their best efforts, may not necessarily be acting in a way consistent with a 13 year-old. In many instances where the girl is actually 13, chances are she's going to say something or come across as awkward in some way that might trigger something in the predator's mind that "hey, maybe this isn't such a good idea." Many real 13 year-olds may even back out of this situation at the last second, but these covert agents are there to follow things to the end once the predator initiates. I of course haven't seen the transcripts, so I can't say for sure, but it seems likely that the adults playing the role aren't necessarily portraying themselves as accurately as a real 13 year-old would.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I of course haven't seen the transcripts, so I can't say for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Go read the [censored] transcripts. Read the laws. [censored] armchair lawyers all over this [censored] thread.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I of course haven't seen the transcripts, so I can't say for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Go read the [censored] transcripts. Read the laws. [censored] armchair lawyers all over this [censored] thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm losing track of the number of times people have tried to point to the law books as if a law is ok because it's a law. If you never agree with their argument, at the very least stop using the status quo as an argument just because it's the
Old 06-17-2007, 12:00 AM

I did see the episode referenced earlier where the guy says he doesn't want to come and the girl spends 5 minutes begging him to come and trying to make him feel guilty about not coming by telling him how disappointed she'll be.

Maybe these cases aren't officially defined as entrapment under our legal code, but they certainly should be. A lot of these men would never have done anything if there wasn't an adult pressuring them to the whole time.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I did see the episode referenced earlier where the guy says he doesn't want to come and the girl spends 5 minutes begging him to come and trying to make him feel guilty about not coming by telling him how disappointed she'll be.

Maybe these cases aren't officially defined as entrapment under our legal code, but they certainly should be. A lot of these men would never have done anything if there wasn't an adult pressuring them to the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe you could read the whole thread. These guys have already committed the crime when they solicit sex from a minor over the internet. The men are arrested and prosecuted whether or not they show up at the house.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:17 AM

What are the odds that if you are talking to a 13 year old on the internet who invites you over or agrees to have you over for sex that she is actually a 13 year old girl?

I figure the odds are about 5 to 1 against.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so instead of using a decoy to simulate the 13 year old, they use an actual 13 year old and intercept the perv as he enters the house? And then it's alright?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's a bad idea to try to set a trap in the first place. But yeah, if they want to bust the guy for committing or attempting to commit a crime, then he should actually commit or attempt to commit that crime.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is attempting to commit a crime. He's attempting to have sex with a minor. He isn't assuming that the person on the other end is a 45-year-old pretending to be a 12-year-old. He's assuming it's a 12-year-old and acting accordingly.

WHY THE [censored] IS THIS SO [censored] HARD TO UNDERSTAND??!??!?!??!!

[/ QUOTE ]
As I said, he's not attempting to have sex with a 12-year-old. He's desiring to.

To attempt to do something, there has to be a chance of success. Obviously if there is no 12 year old to have sex with, he has 0 chance of having sex with a 12 year old, thus no attempt.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or maybe you could read the whole thread. These guys have already committed the crime when they solicit sex from a minor over the internet. The men are arrested and prosecuted whether or not they show up at the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should read my whole post dipsh*t.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They have not solicited a minor. They solicited an adult pretending to be a minor. I know you'll try and say that the law says that doesn't matter, but I say the law is wrong. What's your argument now? Resist the urge to robotically repeat "But the law says..."
Old 06-17-2007, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf, how is that entrapment? The decoys make sure the mark knows they're incredibly under age.

[/ QUOTE ]
What does this have to do with entrapment? To show entrapment, the defendent has to show that they wouldn't have done what they did if it weren't for the officer's actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

..and why doesnt that apply here?

and did they ever really commit a crime?

[/ QUOTE ]

If one tries to hire someone to commit a murder, does anyone have to be killed for it to be a crime?

b

[/ QUOTE ]

i think so. wouldn't it be a spin off charge of attempted murder? or would they still get the capital offense of murder for hire?