Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 PM

Default The Lounge Cooking Challenge and Food Thread

Given the talk in the "state of the forum" thread this may or may not be the right approach for this but its worth a shot.

I do think there is enough interest in food and cooking to make this worth while.
I also think there is enough interest in having cooking challenges but challenges that a lot of people will want to jump in on from time to time.

The Cooking Challenge

<font color="yellow">CHEESE!!! </font>

Whatever strikes you, appetizer, entree, dessert...all of the above.
No voting at this point. Just make something, either an original recipe or not(or your own variation of an existing recipe)
Post the recipe and pictures. Prep pictures too.

How about we run this particular challenge for a couple of weeks then add another?

Food Stuff

Outside of the cooking challenge lets see what else everyone is cooking. Pics and recipes are great.
Food questions...ideas...anything!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: The Lounge Cooking Challenge and Food Thread

i'm a recent college grad and will be having to cook for myself once i start work. should i use recipes so that my food is edible or should i just take a stab and hope to get better over time?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 PM

I think running one of these monthly or so would be pretty fun. It'd not only give me enough time to figure out what I want to make, but it also gives me and others a chance to try out some of the submissions and report back.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Outside of the cooking challenge lets see what else everyone is cooking. Pics and recipes are great.
Food questions...ideas...anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent compromise... focus on the challenge AND encourage other cooking related posts!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:53 PM

Count me in! I love this type of thread. I just really enjoy photographing my dinners.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm a recent college grad and will be having to cook for myself once i start work. should i use recipes so that my food is edible or should i just take a stab and hope to get better over time?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both! I think/hope that we will see a lot of very basic stuff as well as things that are more sophisticated.

The idea is to get as many people involved with absolutely no expectations.
Somewhat a blank slate of a thread and we will all see where this goes.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 PM

I'm working too much these days, but love the idea.

I also think it would be very nice if an attempt were made to direct it every so often, just for fun. Like: Fish Fridays -- everybody makes a fish dish. And especially, something like Seasonal Vegetables or maybe Summer Vegetables -- everybody go to the farmers market or wherever they can and get some seasonal vegetables. Maybe our people who know what's what can even suggest some of those fruits and vegetables to the others here so we'll know what to look for.

I think cooking up a vegetable you've never tried before can be fun. There's usually lots of different ways to do it, too.

Which puts me in mind of another idea: Asian Vegetables. Everybody one week goes to an Asian market and gets some Asian vegetable they've never used, and makes it a distinctive part of a new dish they've never made or maybe never even tried before.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think running one of these monthly or so would be pretty fun. It'd not only give me enough time to figure out what I want to make, but it also gives me and others a chance to try out some of the submissions and report back.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no problem with monthly. Just keep in mind that when a new challenge begins the old ones are always in play.

It might also be fun as things get under way to have mini-vote on type of challenges for those who are more motivated by that type of challenge.

Ron Burgudy had some great ideas for this.
Oh Ron?? Where are you?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm working too much these days, but love the idea.

I also think it would be very nice if an attempt were made to direct it every so often, just for fun. Like: Fish Fridays -- everybody makes a fish dish. And especially, something like Seasonal Vegetables or maybe Summer Vegetables -- everybody go to the farmers market or wherever they can and get some seasonal vegetables. Maybe our people who know what's what can even suggest some of those fruits and vegetables to the others here so we'll know what to look for.

I think cooking up a vegetable you've never tried before can be fun. There's usually lots of different ways to do it, too.

Which puts me in mind of another idea: Asian Vegetables. Everybody one week goes to an Asian market and gets some Asian vegetable they've never used, and makes it a distinctive part of a new dish they've never made or maybe never even tried before.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are awesome ideas!!

Blarg, I want to see what you can do with brussel sprouts! YUMMY! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2007, 10:37 PM