Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 12:42 AM

Default Re: More game return policy talk! (sorta)

Yeah, big companies like that just write that kinda stuff off.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just looked at my reciept and it says that for up to 7 days new games can be exchanged for the same game, but doesn't state what can or can't be returned. When I go up to try and return it, what should I tell them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused, it seems like you want to trade in your copy of COD4 for a new copy of COD4... so you just want to exchange it. Just bring it in, tell them it won't play for some reason (don't even say it's scratched, just play dumb) and that you'd like to exchange it for another copy. Here's how the conversation should go

You: "Hi, I just bought this game two days ago, and I tried to play it and my xbox360 won't read the disc, can I exchange it for another copy?"

Them: "Did anything happen to the disc/is it scratched?"

You: "I don't think so, I mean I don't know, I just put it into my 360 and it won't play. Can I exchange it for another copy of the same game?"

Them: "Ok"

edit: if you want a refund, you're screwed because they don't give refunds even if it's in perfect condition. But you can get another copy of COD4, which you said was "all you wanted" in your OP. But for a refund of your money, you're SOL.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-23-2007, 12:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Worst case scenario you could buy a new copy of the broken game at best buy (or anywhere they offer insurance, I know they have it a BB for five bucks though). Then take the broken copy and put it in the new case you have insurance for, take it back and get an exchange. Then you have two copies of the same game course, so you have to return one to gamestop or bestbuy with the receipt from the original purchase. They may scan the game to make sure its the same copy with the same bar code, which it won't be because you switched. If they do that and it doesn't work then you just sell one of the copies on ebay. You'll lose some money, but it will only be like 20 bucks max, instead of 60.

My xbox is horrible and eats my games all the time, so I had to deal with this a lot.

Edit: In my experience eb/gamestop are dicks about exchanges and your just SOL, but maybe you'll get someone nice and they will let it slide. Also I wrote this while playing Mass Effect, so it may not be all that coherent.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your gonna try to be smooth, at least do it right. On a game that didn't just come out, if you plan on buying another game sometime in the future, you simply go to gamestop or whatever and buy another game used. You will have a 30 day return policy on the used game (switch games obviously) and then you can return your broken game for store credit, which you'll use on something else.

If you don't want to buy another game, or the game just came out, simply go to blockbuster and rent the game, then return the broken one. $8 easy replacement.

*edit* Only needed if they don't simply let you exchange it of course.

Obviously the poster i quoted is a newb at ripping off stores...
Old 11-23-2007, 01:17 AM

OP:

Have you ever considered that maybe that video games just aren't for you? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Refresh my memory please.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 AM

Kramer: It's a write off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.
Jerry: You don't even know what a write off is.
Kramer: Do you?
Jerry: No. I Don't.
Kramer: But they do. And they're the ones writing it off.
Jerry: I wish I could have the last 20 seconds of my life back.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Kramer: It's a write off for them.
Jerry: How is it a write off?
Kramer: They just write it off.
Jerry: Write it off what?
Kramer: Jerry, all these big companies, they write off everything.
Jerry: You don't even know what a write off is.
Kramer: Do you?
Jerry: No. I Don't.
Kramer: But they do. And they're the ones writing it off.
Jerry: I wish I could have the last 20 seconds of my life back.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] I saw it recently too.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused, it seems like you want to trade in your copy of COD4 for a new copy of COD4... so you just want to exchange it. Just bring it in, tell them it won't play for some reason (don't even say it's scratched, just play dumb) and that you'd like to exchange it for another copy. Here's how the conversation should go

You: "Hi, I just bought this game two days ago, and I tried to play it and my xbox360 won't read the disc, can I exchange it for another copy?"

You: "I don't think so, I mean I don't know, I just put it into my 360 and it won't play. Can I exchange it for another copy of the same game?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on. For all they know, you didnt even wait 2 days. You were working the last 2 days and just popped it in for the first time 20 minutes before you brought it back to the store.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I just looked at my reciept and it says that for up to 7 days new games can be exchanged for the same game, but doesn't state what can or can't be returned. When I go up to try and return it, what should I tell them?

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: if you want a refund, you're screwed because they don't give refunds even if it's in perfect condition. But you can get another copy of COD4, which you said was "all you wanted" in your OP. But for a refund of your money, you're SOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, it sounds a little stupid if I go in and tell them that I have no idea that it's not working and I have no idea there is a big round scratch on the disc. Isn't the first thing everybody does when a disc gives them errors is to inspect the cd to find scratches?

I'm going to drive up there tonight and try to take it back, will report back.