Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 AM

Default NL 25: Lost value with stellar hand?

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

UTG+1: $20.55
MP1: $13.10
MP2: $22.80
CO: $10.20
Hero (BTN): $25.95
SB: $14.75
BB: $28.45
UTG: $17.10

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
3 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $1</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls $2

Flop: ($6.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $3</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $10</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $22.95 and is All-In</font>, MP2 folds

I may be results oriented, or upset that my read wasn't correct, but it seems I lost value on this hand.

Obviously, I'm willing to play for stacks. I'll pay off KK here every time. The question is how do I get other hands to pay off more often.

Based on previous play, villain is JJ+ and I thought most likely AK here. QQ+ would likely raise, AK would flat call. He'd folded to my raises before.

Naturally, I fist pumped when he check raised me half his stack and I pushed. He's getting great odds. 8/32 so I expected a call.

The fold shocked me, but it may be think, and perhaps this is worth not getting his $8.

If I flat called, would he make another stab at the pot, and would he actually fold to a $4 turn bet getting 8-1? I'm either behind KK and the only draw that can beat me is the royal flush, and he doesn't have odds for that.

Does anyone think that flat calling his check raise might entice a worse hand to put in more money on the turn or river?
Old 11-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Lost value with stellar hand?

do you have any stats for this player? How aggressive is he?

I don't think QQ, JJ or AQ are putting any more money into this pot once you call the raise, so to get his stack here you need him to be holding a king or AK.
I suppose its possible that if he's quite aggro he might fire on the turn...
Old 11-11-2007, 12:05 PM

I agree that this looks like he was just trying to take it from you on the flop and that once you called or raised he was done with it.

No harm in just calling his raise on the flop and letting him fire again on the turn if he's up for it. Especially because he might be making this play with a lower PP and could miraculously turn or river a lower boat.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:55 PM

Villian was me, I belive [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

16/9/2.7
Old 11-11-2007, 01:12 PM

what did u have berge?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Tens

I was just fishing for QQ/JJ/AQ to laydown. Not really a good spot though, I had some fantsy play syndrome going on.

Regardless, I think that you are right to flat call the raise. There are absolutely no cards you really fear (a one out royal draw possible) and the money is going in anyway. I see no real harm in letting a badly played KQ or QQ/JJ/TT/Spades "catch up" and potentially increasing your wins. They'd have to be really bad, but nobody folds a boat--as the saying goes.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: NL 25: Lost value with stellar hand?

I think by 3 bet pushing, its possible you could fold out weak K's which you do not want to do. I'm not going to worry about a 1 outer for either quads or a 2 card royal. Just call the raise, check and push all in on the river. Let the villain have some rope to hang himself on.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Maximize,

I think a pause, call on the flop will work well. When it gets checked to you con the turn, a pause then bet approx 1/3 of villain's remaining stack will possibly get called. The rest is gravy.

What hands will call your push? KK, AK
Old 11-11-2007, 03:46 PM

The only hands that will call your push are AK/KK unless the player is a donk. I would flat call and hope he tries to bluff on the turn.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only hands that will call your push are AK/KK unless the player is a donk. I would flat call and hope he tries to bluff on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to sell that his kx is good, his Ax is good, or give him free cards to have villain catch a 2 outer to a 2nd best hand. There is almost no risk of ruin with giving free cards here.