Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 12:31 PM

Default Re: \"Service\" franchises

I suggest you start your own franchising-business that sets up franchising businesses as franchises.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are a lot lot lot of these types of franchises in the world these days. Over the last ten or so years or so a lot of startups have been infected with the franchising craze. There is even a franchised business that picks up dog [censored] in people's yards. No kidding.

I am aquainted with a guy that owns a couple 'We Buy Junk' franchises, and those are pretty lucrative for him. Well, success is implied by his life-style, I have no idea if he's making any real money. But I do know that he is very busy, and it seems to me like he works just about 24 hours per day.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. But I, like others here, think that you need to seriously consider the amount of work that owning a small business takes. It is a huge amount of work. Even if you buy a franchised system, you'll be acting as manager for a few years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm definitely not going to rush into anything. I need to know I can commit to the commitment.

[ QUOTE ]

I've owned small businesses in the past, but now I only do real estate. It takes less time and I enjoy it more because I like to negotiate, make deals, and solve problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, if I felt I could continue to make $100k a year at poker, I would suck it up, grind, and invest in real estate. I find real estate interesting but I have a solid fear of either running out of income (i.e., poker is banned, or becomes too tough for someone of my skill level,) or either becoming so burnt out I just can't do it anymore.

Regardless of positive cashflow from a property, at my age and with my job it seems like I'd need to be putting 20% down on any property which I could continually do with making the money at poker but the future is very much in doubt.

How burnt out I am fluctuates alot, obviously correlated to how well I'm doing. I wish it wasn't this way, but it's a constant mental struggle to remain focused and put in the hours when running bad.

[ QUOTE ]

Small businesses are very much about managing people - both employees and customers. RE is somewhat about managing people, but much more about knowledge. Its also much more passive. I work about 18 hours a week now, as opposed to running a small biz, where I worked about 100 hours a week. And all of those 18 hours are buy choice - there is rarely a time where I can't take off two weeks for vacation. This won't be the case in a small business.

Both RE and small biz require significant amounts of knowledge and expertise to make any real money. But in both you can learn as you go. Each will appeal to a differnt type of personality.

I'd suggest that rather than thinking about what type of biz you want to get into, you think about what kind of life you want to have, and then work backwards to figure out which course will get you there the easiest. IMO, it probably won't be a small business. My .02.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice, you give me something to think about. Real estate probably is a better choice for me (I have no problem doing exhaustive research when interested in something,) however I am concerned how I can come up with capital in the future.

If poker runs out, my future job possibilities probably involve the words "entry level" and "$30k a year."
Old 09-25-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't just go into a business for the sake of going into a business.

Figure out where u want to be 5-10-20 years from now and THEN figure out how you are going to get there using business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know they saying starting a small business is basically buying yourself a job, and that is kinda what I'm planning for. I have a lot of anxiety about the future of poker.

I have a degree in journalism which I will never pursue as an actual job. An entry level job I could get at sales wouldn't pay very well and I'm sure would make me depressed at the state that my life was in.

I'm just trying to feel out ways to make money in the future without poker.

Maybe I should hang out at the quarter-life crisis forums more.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Regardless of positive cashflow from a property, at my age and with my job it seems like I'd need to be putting 20% down on any property

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this may or may not be the case. Putting 10%-20% down is pretty much par for the course. However, many banks don't really care too much where that 20% comes from, i.e., it doesn't have to come out of your pocket. Sometimes the seller of a property will put up the 20%. Sometimes another bank will put it up. Sometimes you can take it out of another line of credit that you have.

A lot of what you need to know in real estate is where to get the money. I put almost none of my own money into a RE deal, and when I do, I have a 25% cash on cash return on invested money. Most of my deals have much higher COCR than 25%. If I get my money into a deal, I want it back out quickly. Its not that I'm special - anyone can do this. You get there by a combination of experience and relationships. There are lots of people that want to passively invest in RE at high returns.

It also depends quite a bit on what kind of RE investing you do. Some requires substantial capital (i.e., investing in apartment complexes or developing retail rental property). Other investments require very little capital (i.e., flipping houses). But to make money in RE, you don't need to have money necessarily. All you need is to think creatively enough to solve people's problems. This is the knowledge portion of the REI puzzle.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the advice, you give me something to think about. Real estate probably is a better choice for me (I have no problem doing exhaustive research when interested in something,) however I am concerned how I can come up with capital in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, in RE investing, money is the least of your worries. There are lots and lots of people ready to hand you the money when a deal is great. And besides, an RE investment business will grow automatically. Properties bought today appreciate over 5 years, you borrow against the equity in your property to buy more properties. It's time-honored in REI. Get rich slow.

For now just focus on learning more about REI. Go down to the library and grab one or two books, and spend an hour or two per day with them. It doesnt' matter which ones you grab, just pick two at random and get started.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 AM

yeah, now would be the perfect time to do that because in 6-18 months we might see a bottom and some really good opportunities.