Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 10:35 AM

Default Memoirs

I am reading Catch Me if You Can which is an awesome read and goes into more details than the movie. Its amazing that as a teenage he had the sheer balls and ability to pose as an airline pilot, cash millions in fake checks, work as a head doctor, work as a lawyer for the district attorny and teach sociology at a major university. If you like the movie, you should definitely read the book.

What are some other good memoirs?
Old 09-26-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: Memoirs

"Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" is one of the most powerful memoirs I've read. It's not terribly well written, but the story is mind-blowing.
http://www.alongwaygone.com/

Also, I'm not sure if it would be considered a memoir but "Some Survived: An Eyewitness Account of the Bataan Death March" is absolutely incredible.
http://www.amazon.com/Some-Survived-.../dp/1565124340

I've always wanted to read the Abagnale memoir, but have never got around to it. Thanks for the reminder, I'm going to pick it up soon.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:46 AM

Dry by Augusten Burroughs

His other memoir, Running with Scissors, is more well known, but I find this subject more interesting. This memoir is about his drinking, dealing with the drinking, drying up, etc.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 AM

is the novel that the flick blow was based on any good?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 PM

I read "Angela's Ashes" when I was in 10th grade; I remember loving it.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:06 PM

Three exquisitely written British memoirs:

Half an Arch by Jonathan Glathorne-Hardy

"This is the best, certainly the most open, book ever written about fallen gentlefolk."

http://books.google.com/books?id=Bx7W-uJ...lLS-KgymPQ-N160

Jackdaw Cake by Norman Lewis

"I was nine years of age, and the adults peopling my world seemed on the whole irrational, but it was an irrationality I had come to accept as the norm. My mother had brought me to this vast house and told me, without discussion, preparation or warning, that I was to live among these strangers—for whom I was to show respect, even love—for an unspecified period of time. The prospect troubled me, but like an Arab child resigned in his religion, I soon learned to accept this new twist in the direction of my life, and the sounds of incessant laughter and grief soon lost all significance, became commonplace and thus passed without notice.

My mother, bastion of wisdom and fountainhead of truth in my universe, had gone, her flexible maternal authority replaced by the disciplines of my fire-scarred Aunt Polly, an epileptic who had suffered at least one fit per day since the age of fourteen, in the course of which she had fallen once from a window, once into a river, and twice into a fire. Every day, usually in the afternoon, she staged an unconscious drama, when she rushed screaming from room to room, sometimes bloodied by a fall, and once leaving a menstrual splash on the highly polished floor. It was difficult to decide whether she liked or disliked me, because she extended a tyranny in small ways over all who had dealings with her."

http://www.granta.com/extracts/94

Not Entitled by Frank Kermode

"In this enchanting, episodic memoir, Kermode chronicles the unusual course of events that carried him from a parochial childhood on the Isle of Man to international recognition as a literary critic. A modest, at times dolefully confessional raconteur, Kermode elides most details about his marriages and children, focusing instead upon his own perpetual feelings of dislocation and his lack of "entitlement" to cultural and familial attainments. Raised in a world of tenements, gaslights and ancient prejudices, the sensitive Kermode joined the navy at the outset of WWII, serving as clerk to a series of "mad captains" (including two Sisyphian years in Iceland building a naval defense that was never completed). Kermode next drifted into graduate school, later teaching at Reading, Bristol and University College of London, eventually becoming King Edward VII Professor of English at Cambridge, a post he resigned during a much-publicized controversy over post-structuralism during the early 1980s. Kermode also details the flap over his editorship of the cultural journal Encounter, which he left on principle in 1967 when it was revealed to be CIA-funded. And, through a marvelous prism of literary and cultural observations, Kermode, whose most famous book is The Sense of an Ending, affectingly ponders his own sense of mortality."

http://books.google.com/books?id=eo19AAA...JDaSSoQKyl7nSBw
Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 PM

Catch Me If You Can is a great book. I remember reading it maybe a year or two before the movie came out and thinking 'how is this not a movie' because it's just such an amazing story. Especially when you factor in that most of his criminal career took place between the ages of 16-21.
The movie doesn't even really do any justice to his story.

I thought the book version of Blow was very good. Definitely worth reading.

While not really a memoir 'Junky' by W. Burroughs is a great book about his heroin addiction.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dry by Augusten Burroughs

His other memoir, Running with Scissors, is more well known, but I find this subject more interesting. This memoir is about his drinking, dealing with the drinking, drying up, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both are strong reads.

If you're into scientists at all, Feynman's books are an obvious choice. I also really liked Adventures of a Mathematician by Stanislaw Ulam, but it's a lot less zany.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:27 PM

"A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah is a fantastic book. The author writes of his experiences as a child in Sierra Leone during the civil war of the 1990's. He was ultimately forced to fight alongside and against other teenage boys.

NY Times Review & Book Excerpts
Old 09-26-2007, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier" by Ishmael Beah is a fantastic book. The author writes of his experiences as a child in Sierra Leone during the civil war of the 1990's. He was ultimately forced to fight alongside and against other teenage boys.

NY Times Review & Book Excerpts

[/ QUOTE ]

Saw this guy on CBC's The Hour plugging the book. Looked really really powerful, he was eloquent and clear. I think I'll pick this one up.