View Poll Results: bluffblank
Exactly what I expected 2 11.11%
Pretty much what I expected 7 38.89%
Kinda what I expected 6 33.33%
Not really what I expected 3 16.67%
Definitely not what I expected 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: What\'s with the no kids guilt trip?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Question to those who say they don't want children:

What if you did in fact get a girl (wife/gf/random chick) knocked up?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOLs
Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 AM

Well, I recently had a kid(~8 months ago). He was an accident. My gf and I had been using birth control, just not very effectively. Hard to say how I felt at first; part of me regretted it, part of me was excited, and part of me didnt know what the [censored] I felt. I was 23 FWIW.

I had always been pro-choice before this and still am, but never even considered trying to get her to have an abortion.

Our baby was born 2 months premature and spent 2 months in the NICU. We visited multiple times everyday. We was eventually released as a completely healthy baby.

The past few months I've seen him do some amazing things. He is a an unbelieveable amount of work sometimes, but when I really think about it, he is more than worth it. Sometimes I just cant do what I want to like I used to be able to. Like tonight for example, iIjust wanted to play poker and drink beer, but he wouldnt go to bed for the longest time. It takes a LOT of patience.

Do I blame anyone for not wanting kids?? Hell no. Part of me still doesnt. Being only 24, there is still a bunch of [censored] I wish I could do that i'll probably never be able to do. MY gf and I dont even get along that well anymore, which is very unfortunate. Being that were not married and she makes more than me, she'll probabaly be able to get full custody without even trying. That sucks obviously, but I feel like I'd go throgh anything to be with my son.

Please do whatever makes you happy, kids or not.

Sorry if TL;DR.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:08 PM

My wife and I don't plan to have kids, and we live in the Jersey suburbs which is like Kid Nation. People undoubtedly think we're weird being childless in the suburbs. My sister's husband (3 kids) asked me once, in all seriousness, "So what do you and your wife do all day?" He couldn't comprehend how we managed to fill our time without kids.

Anyway my theory is that most people do in fact want kids. A smaller number don't, but have them anyway due to family pressure or because they've bought into the idea that it's just what adults do. These are usually the miserable ones. Others don't want kids and decide to stick to their convictions. They may suffer the occasional moment of wondering "what am I missing out on" - but it usually passes quickly if they are being true to themselves.

My biggest beef, which I share with the OP, is with the idea that people who don't become parents must be "selfish". It's a retarded idea. There are selfish parents, selfish non-parents. Not having kids is not a personality trait.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 PM

That also ties in with the mirror image of that idea, that people who have kids are necessarily mature and endowed with superior wisdom, and not just regarding kids. I've seen people playing the kid "card" more than once, claiming they were simply wiser and more evolved than others due to that alone.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That also ties in with the mirror image of that idea, that people who have kids are necessarily mature and endowed with superior wisdom, and not just regarding kids. I've seen people playing the kid "card" more than once, claiming they were simply wiser and more evolved than others due to that alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same with racial minorities who presume themselves to be experts on racism and race relations.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Try being the only child of a jewish mother. Sorry parents, your line ends here.

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, that's an assload of pressure.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:13 PM

I'm closing on 50, and never had any kids. The right woman to do that with just didn't materialize in my life, and that's ok. At this point, I think it very likely I'll never have any, partly cause my wife can't, but mostly because the idea of having a teenager running around when I'm in my 60's is too terrifying to contemplate.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:17 PM

Anyone like the idea of knocking up some chick in southeast asia and giving her like 100k so she can take care of the kid, live like a queen, and get it a decent education? That way you pass on your genes and don't have to do any work.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM

WTF is it with the whole must-pass-on-my-genes hysteria?
I just don't get it. I guess I must have some corrupt genes that missed out on that sequence.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:29 PM

Yeah really, every other organism on the planet seems pretty damn concerned. Face the facts, your body is a machine designed with the express purpose of gene replication. Consciousness is both a gift and a curse for our genes. It gives us amazing abundance, however some people can choose to 'stick it to the man' and not reproduce.