Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 PM

Default Re: The Fine Line Between FPS and Being a Robot

How does that work Devin ?

In cash the strength of Axs is that if you flop an FD, then you have around 47% equity if the A gutshot is clean, so in a raised pot you can just get in it on the flop for stacks .. the profit comes from the FE you might have (and the SCs that go 'I have an FD and two overs, I'm all in' vs you)

With flipping not being adviced in sngs, is it worth it ? (chips decreasing in value)
Old 11-17-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does that work Devin ?

In cash the strength of Axs is that if you flop an FD, then you have around 47% equity if the A gutshot is clean, so in a raised pot you can just get in it on the flop for stacks .. the profit comes from the FE you might have (and the SCs that go 'I have an FD and two overs, I'm all in' vs you)

With flipping not being adviced in sngs, is it worth it ? (chips decreasing in value)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking in general about the value of Axs compared to playing lower SCs. You get value from allowing hands like 76s come along. But, that's more in a cash game context.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:54 PM

OK ... then we speak the same language [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Excellent Post as per usual pudge.

As Lacky pointed out Its not FPS if you can seperate the donks from the nits. IMO it can be appplied at any buyin once you have seperated the donks from the nits.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 PM

fwiw didn't read everything but for ppl saying A5s is an auto raise from the CO, it's a fold for me in some 6max cash games. when i'm folding it in a game i could reload in then that's something to think about when debating on if i should play it in a tourney where i can't rebuy.

the hand is just way too marginal to be played and for most people it's actually a loser in that position, as is most Axs hands. it might be beneficial to play it to balance out certain things in your game even with it being a marginal loser but most people don't have to worry about that. btw this is for early play w/out antes.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:57 PM

A few random thoughts,
Pudge very good post, I basically agree with the gist. Without getting into specifics I feel like a lot of ppl basically miss massively +ev spots in sngs by playing far too nitty/straightforward. Part of this is because its full ring but especially in late position you can open a pretty wide range of hands in early levels of sngs. Particularly because most ppl are terrible postflop. One big leak I think a lot of sng regs have is they play too ABC and it becomes incredibly easy to read their hands. When some guys who open up their game more end up having a higher roi because they pick up more chips and get more value out of their strong hands.

Dr Jeckyl,
[ QUOTE ]
One problem that I am learning to overcome is playing weaker starting hands KQ, QJ, JT, etc and hitting top pair, but not top kicker. You need to remember that when you play these hands you will almost never have the best hand. So when you get resistance you need to realize you're in trouble and you should probably get away from the hand

[/ QUOTE ]
I get what your saying but your pretty wrong. A lot of times when I get top pair with these hands you can get 2 streets of value sometimes even 3.

Devin/Usher,
Axs is the nuts I like never fold pf with it. Talk to unarmed.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:59 PM

Alan,
Is that metagame post so people won't think you are a crazy asian eventhough you clearly are?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:17 AM

Eagles makes a good point that you can put nits on like 5 hands in levels 1 and 2 alot of the time ... Having a wider pf range is fine b/c half the time you are cbetting whiffed AK or QQ/JJ on K/Q high boards and taking it down vs the check/folding donks anyways. I think good postflop play + a large pt database are two huge assets if you are gong to start experimenting though

Prop bets on ROI for 'laggy' sng stats over 500-1k sngs anyone?
Old 11-18-2007, 05:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One big leak I think a lot of sng regs have is they play too ABC and it becomes incredibly easy to read their hands

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, when i talk about stealing small pots from nits, this is exactly it. your typical sng grinder raises mid position in level one. you call on the button (with a loose image, youve played them enough they know you call wide). flop comes 456 or 889, etc, pot is already yours, cause that flop is in no way in their range, and it's in yours. they check fold flop, or they weak cont bet, you call, they c/f turn. works every time.
Old 11-18-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
One big leak I think a lot of sng regs have is they play too ABC and it becomes incredibly easy to read their hands

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, when i talk about stealing small pots from nits, this is exactly it. your typical sng grinder raises mid position in level one. you call on the button (with a loose image, youve played them enough they know you call wide). flop comes 456 or 889, etc, pot is already yours, cause that flop is in no way in their range, and it's in yours. they check fold flop, or they weak cont bet, you call, they c/f turn. works every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

AA-JJ doesn't need a flop of high cards to continue. If they really are that nitty they will have hit that flop a decent % of the time.