Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Default The Categorization Imperative

This arises every so often on this forum.
What is it about the necessity to categorize our environment so we can deal with it more effectively that gives it such recursive power.

My puppy has a large category called, "things I can chew and give the death shake". When ET arrives will he see that category ( without meeting puppy) as he itemizes things?
Many categories we create have no defined boundaries, they are defined by comparison to a standard model but our categories don't exist externally with boundaries delineated.
As our mood improves when do we switch from unhappy to happy? If I were rich, what amount exactly makes me so?

kerowo's comment in DS's thread "Which Of These Three Starements Do You Reject? (Abortion Related) "-
[ QUOTE ]
Because we don't know where the point is or how to determine it now doesn't mean there isn't one. It doesn't take much of an imagination to realize that on the journey from goo to you there was a point where you changed from primarily not human to primarily human.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the claim of the necessity for a boundary simply because there is a category that I find no basis for. Never mind the specific topic, am I missing something with my no-boundary claim for many categories?
Night-day, young-old, are simple examples of the concept, but many macro level categories are of the no-boundary type, the more complex the more likely it has no boundary.

luckyme