Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 05:35 PM

Default Re: An offer of coaching/mentoring

Well, a lot of people in this thread but hey i'll give it a shot. I'm 24, working at a software company since i finished college. I've been playing poker for about a year, took a few months off though and just started playing again recently. I started poker once i read some 2p2 stuff and my friend got me interested, deposited 100 into paradise poker and played 10NL Full Ring. I built my roll and eventually moved to pokerstars and played 25nl 6max, and I've been playing 50nl for a while, well rolled for SSNL, took a shot or two, and had a tough swing so I'm back at 50nl, grinding it out, and trying to improve my postflop play. I'm relatively flexible (except i work, but i'm free to chat/discuss, etc during those hours). My interested is in the short term to move become a solid player at 1/2 (within the next 6 months to a year), and eventually be successful at MSNL at least. My main interest is really working on understanding my opponents and their hand ranges because a lot of times I just find myself in WTF spots. I need to vastly improve in my postflop, especially turn play. Thanks for doing this for uNL!

Vinh
Old 11-16-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For future reference, I dislike these threads cause what is to stop other coaches to do these to get their name out there for free. I will leave this one cause ama beat me to it, but I dislike them

[/ QUOTE ]

While I understand the concern with spam and advertising, the offer listed like the one above is something that most microstakes players, myself included, could never afford. Luke is offering something that would go for about 1k.

Anyway, wish there was some way to reconcile the generous offer with the concerns mods have of spam.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:48 PM

Pokerdemic,

While OP says this is just being nice, I dont truly buy it. PR is great advertising. With the rates coaches charge taking out an ad in the classifieds isnt too outragious. On top of that Id guess 10% of these actually pan out like te OP says.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:50 PM
 is offline

Thanks for doing this. Interesting, you mentioned Bobbofitos. I actualy approched him a couple of months ago for some coaching, but hit a huge downswing playing 100NL HU at the time and wasn`t able to do it.

I`m 32 years old, married with 2 children.

Started playing Oct. 2006 with 17$ I made from selling playmoney. Since then I have grinded upto 100NL several time, but I`m cashing out to much and had to move back to 50NL several times. Presently I`m rolled for 100NL.

I play 6max on Pokerstars and usualy 4 table. My goal fix my leaks, and improve my confidence as a player. Eventualy I would like to become robusto at 1/2$ or hopefully at 2/4$.

A friend of mine, has been sweating me and opened my eyes regarding lots of aspects of the game. Lately my avg. stats are around 22/18/3.5, but I play from 18/14 to 33/29 or so depending on table conditions.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:56 PM

Playing those stakes, did you really take the bobbofitos course ??

Unfortunaly I've never been rolled for anything above 200NL, but been there and done that too .. and always expected it to be something that players at those stakes all where aware of ?
Old 11-16-2007, 05:56 PM

take me! I´m playing 100nl/200nl though... is that too high?
Old 11-16-2007, 06:13 PM

I'm 21 years old and I've been playing poker online for close to 4 years now. I started off playing tournaments with decent success, but wanted to get good at cash games, mainly because I can sit down at a table and play anytime and am not restricted to a set MTT time schedule.

I began playing cash about 6 months ago, jumping straight in at 100nl and finding after a 40k hand sample, I was a break even player. Afterwards, i withdrew my money to take on holiday, leaving my BR at 0.

After getting back from holiday, I found $160 in my account, which was Rakeback from the previous month. So i sat down at the 30nl deepstack tables on FTP, and within a few short weeks, my $160 investment had turned into $1000 through a combination of cash games and $5 and $10 MTTs. Over a short 10k hand sample of 30nl, i was running at 10ptBB, and utterly convinced it was sustainable.

I proceeded to the 50nl tables and in 16k hands, running at ~6ptBB, I found my roll was large enough to start taking shots at 100nl once again.

I went into 100nl understandably apprehensive and it showed in my results, only barely being a winning player over a further 20k hands, being kept alive each month by a mountain of rakeback.

I moved out into my own place fully convinced i could support myself full time on poker, but taking enough money out for rent and bills each month left me very very short, and i found myself once again with only a $200 bankroll.

I'm a very stubborn and proud person, so dropping back down to 30nl was hard, but i dug my feet in and persevered, and in 1 week turned $200 into $540 which is where i stand now. It's definitely a confidence booster to know i can beat the lower limits, but i would love to beat 100nl. It seems like a mental brick wall for me.

I guess then my goals from a coaching session would be to plug some leaks when moving from uNL to SSNL. I'm fairly confident in my game but it slips at times. All i want from poker is to be able to support myself, and a decent winrate at 100nl would do just that.

As I'm not working, I can pretty much work to any time you find easiest. It would be great insight into a winning player's game and i would very much enjoy and relish the opportunity, hopefully building a BR big enough to head to Vegas for 2008.

Thanks,

Stel
Old 11-16-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pokerdemic,

While OP says this is just being nice, I dont truly buy it. PR is great advertising. With the rates coaches charge taking out an ad in the classifieds isnt too outragious. On top of that Id guess 10% of these actually pan out like te OP says.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand your concerns and apologise for making a thread you feel is inappropriate. But i also think that someone will miss out if I wasn't able to make a thread like this, I can assure you my intentions are pure. If you see me offer coaching for $$ ever, ban me on sight.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:31 PM

Here's why you should choose me as your student.

I'm 27 and have been playing poker about 2yrs now. I won a 3+R and used that as my bankroll when I switched over to NL holdem. I have been playing NL50 and NL100 since. Going up and down up and down. I have taken shots at NL200, but I hasn't worked out for me. I hired a coach earlier this year and It improved my game, but I could not afford the prices with my small monthly gains (2-4PTBB/100).

I dedicate about 4hrs a day 5-6 days a week to play and study poker. My goals are to find my leaks, plug them, and continue to grow as a player.

If you want someone that is hard working, dedicated, and motivated to succeed I am your guy. Help me take my game to the next level! You will not be disappointed.

Thanks,

Val
Old 11-16-2007, 06:38 PM

What the hell, I'll give this a shot.

I'm 27 years old and have a career, so poker is something I play in my spare time, however I'm dedicated to the game and am constantly trying to improve and advance, and I want to eventually be able to beat the MSNL/HSNL games. I usually play after work for about 2-4 hours daily.

I've been playing online poker off and on for about 3 years now. Started playing back in 04, mainly limit. Got up to 2/4 and then cashed out once the legislation hit. Started playing again on Stars a few months ago after getting a $36 transfer from someone. So far I've run that up to around $1k and I'm currently playing 50NL, but I feel like I've hit a roadblock. My BR isn't growing very much as I've hit a bad patch for the last 10k hands or so (running/playing bad). Also, I think I'm a bit of a spewtard.

I would love to get a bit of free coaching as I've been thinking about paying for some but would really like to see what it's like first. I think that I would make a great student as I'm dedicated to improving all aspects of my game and would love to have someone dig into my game looking for leaks. Also, I think it would be great to discuss poker with someone like you, hopefully getting some insight into your thought process. Also, if I was chosen I wouldn't just sit back and listen, I would actively be trying to squeeze as much info out of you as I could and really working on improving the way I think and play. I'm driven to succeed in poker and a little help from someone like you will go a long way.

Also, I think this is a great idea. Thank you for this (even if I don't get picked). [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread