Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: **Official uNL/SSNL Coaching Thread**

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Baluga coached me for a few sessions at $100/hour for hour and a half blocks.

He would sweat me over skype for the first hour and talk about concepts while i was playing and not involved in anything really interesting and the last half hour was sort of theory talk and new concepts. He is really good at explaining things and helped my game i definitely recommend him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also was coached by Baluga for 100/hr at NL200, sometime around March. I definitely recommend him, and I'm in the process of modeling my coaching program around his. He's a great teacher and is very patient and understanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a couple of sessions with Baluga as well and he's definitely a solid coach who can explain his thought processes well and understands a lot about the game. Recently he set off on a 3 month trip around the world and I don't think he'll be taking on new students until he's done and settled back in at home which will probably be December or January. I wouldn't take that as an official statement, but that's my understanding of it considering his current students are on an 'as time permits' basis until then.

[/ QUOTE ]

first, thank you for the positive recommendations. Secondly, the information is correct-- i will not be taking any new students until I am back settled in, probably the first week of January. My current students are on a case-by-case basis and I've recommended other 3-bet coaches to them in the meantime. I look forward to doing more coaching when I'm done with my trip, I really enjoy helping people learn about poker and talking about the game.

NYC was awesome btw, so was Dartmouth, Costa Rica on Sunday... anyone in Boston for the next few days?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
has anyone received coaching from DJ Sensei

[/ QUOTE ]
I had two sweat sessions with DJ Sensei. His fee was $200/hr.

I don't want to say anything bad about DJ, as he's a nice guy and a good player, but to be honest, I wasn't very happy with the overall experience. Part of that was the fact that we had a lot of technical difficulties getting video sharing operational*. And part of that may have been that perhaps I just don't like sweating. I find that it's hard to think and talk about the prior hand when the game has moved on and I'm trying to simultaneously decide what to do in the hand I'm currently playing. It didn't seem like we could talk in depth about anything. Maybe I should have been playing fewer tables. Anyway, the result was that I didn't feel like I was taking much away from the lessons. Other people might have a different experience. Again, this might just be an indictment of the format, not the coach.

I had jfish review a self-made video of mine a few months back, and that seemed, to me, to be a better way of conveying tutelage, just because you can pause and stop and think, and go back over the plays.

*(Actually, I kind of blame 3bet.net for this... IMO, they should have some enterprise license for all their coaches for some video sharing software that they've researched, rather than putting the onus on the coach and/or the student.)
Old 10-11-2007, 03:21 AM

I just had my first coaching session with 0evg0, and I think it went very well. He charged $175 for a session which went for two hours, which I think is very reasonable. We tried to get a sweat session going over Unyte, but there were technical difficulties, so he sweated me over AIM instead. I'd say we spent about 90 minutes with him sweating me, taking notes, and making comments about some of the hands I was playing, plus about a good half hour afterwards going over specific hands and also a lot of theory. He had a lot of very insightful things to say about hand reading/bluffing/beating up on fish that will definitely improve my game in the future. I'd recommend him to any SSNL player who's looking to move beyond the fundamentals of poker and really work on optimizing their play.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:58 AM

I'm partway through the Bobbo programme at the moment. I've gone from a breakeven .5/1 player to a winning 5/10-10/20 player since i started taking his lessons. He can definitely take a decent amount of credit for that. He's very very good at what he does, i really like the fact that he has lesson plans, and teaches what he think is important. This is way more successful [ime] than the coach relying on the student to pick the topic for that lesson. He probably won't fix individual leaks, but he teaches you what you need to know to go about identifying and fixing your own leaks and reworking your game.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've gone from a breakeven .5/1 player to a winning 5/10-10/20 player since i started taking his lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many lessons over what sort of time period was that?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:54 AM

This is probably as good a place as any to ask.

Can anyone recommened screen sharing software? I have tried 3 now I think and everytime the lag (4-tabling with PT/HUD running) made it useless for realtime sweating/discussion
Old 10-11-2007, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've gone from a breakeven .5/1 player to a winning 5/10-10/20 player since i started taking his lessons.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many lessons over what sort of time period was that?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been over a very long period. Probably 4 months now, and we've still got some lessons to do. I didn't originally intend to spread the lessons over such a long period but i've just had such limited time to take any. I booked [and paid for] the whole course in advance, and have probably done ~8 of the 14 lessons so far.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can anyone recommened screen sharing software? I have tried 3 now I think and everytime the lag (4-tabling with PT/HUD running) made it useless for realtime sweating/discussion

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno man, I've tried BeamYourScreen, Unyte, and one other one and each one has been scrapped midway through a session.

I don't know if it's because my computer sucks, because of the software, because it doesnt like PAHUD or PT, or what. All I know is I just want to find a decent one too.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I recently used LogMeIn while a friend sweated me and there were no problems.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 AM

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I could very much use coach to teach me to play better poker. But considering I am NL50 player who is taking shots at NL100 cost seems quite high at this level (several buy-ins per hour). Does any of them offer different payment options? For example % of winnings or 150% pay later or something? Anyone you would specially recommend for multitabler?
Closed Thread