Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2007, 11:53 PM

Default playing in Main Event...how long should I book hotel...buy roundtrip?

I'm playing the Main Event and am confused about whether I should go ahead and book my room from July 5-17 or whether I should just book it for a few days since I don't know when I'm going to get knocked out. Same dillemma with the plane...don't want to buy roundtrip and have to wait around for a week if I get knocked out on day one...but I don't want to get ripped off on a ticket either. What's everybody doing?

Also, if I book from July 5-17 will I just be able to cancel if I want to leave on the 11th or something?
Old 06-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Default Re: playing in Main Event...how long should I book hotel...buy roundtrip?

Buy one way ticket. If you get knocked off early you're not stuck. If you last long enough to money then it doesn't matter on the ticket cost. Same goes for hotel.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: playing in Main Event...how long should I book hotel...buy roundtrip?

If I really cared, I'd buy a refundable ticket round trip and book the hotel direct through the hotel website. Just make sure you understand the early departure penalties for both land and air.

I don't really think that I'd leave right away. Why would you leave when they're about to cut loose a few thousand poker players who just busted out of a 10K tourney in 1 day? They can't all have been cold decked. Some of them must just suck at poker. I'd recommend finding them.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:11 AM

I'll stay for a bit. Where do you find refundable round trip tickets? I can get one way to Vegas from here for 179 or so.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll stay for a bit. Where do you find refundable round trip tickets? I can get one way to Vegas from here for 179 or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Southwest Airlines
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They will be more, but you can get refundable tickets from any airline. You may find that a non-refundable ticket + a oneway return is less than a refundable round trip + change fees. Just hit the SWA website and Orbitz and figure out what you need to do.
Old 06-27-2007, 05:30 AM

So with a refundable round trip flight you can change to pretty much any available flight whenever you want to go. Eg. if I my return flight is scheduled July 12 and I want to leave the 10th or 13th I just call Southwest?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:17 AM

I travel all the time for my job...

Most hotels do not charge any additional fees if you leave early, as long as you stay the first night (and it's not a big holiday weekend or some special package). I have left vegas hotels early a number of times and have never had a problem, just checking out early. So you can book the hotel for the whole time. If you want to play it safe, check with the hotel first on their policy.

Most airlines will let you standby for free. Which means you show up when you want to fly home and they will change your ticket if they have an open seat. I usually call the airline and find out if they have a lot of open seats or if the flight is booked before I leave the hotel. If it has open seats, I go and ride standby. It's important that you use the word "standby" or they will try to charge you a change fee and the difference in fare. Some airlines charge a $25 - 50 fee for standing by. If you can't get cheap 1 way tickets, just book it for the majority of the main event and take the standby approach.

I booked my flight home for the night of the 13th. If I am there longer, I sure won't care about the cost of a flight change, if I am out earlier, I will just go home standby.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 AM

Default Re: playing in Main Event...how long should I book hotel...buy roundtr

Side note: if you're looking at places to stay, Vegas.com appears to be the best place for hotel rates (better than the actual hotel sites themselves)
Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 AM

Default Re: playing in Main Event...how long should I book hotel...buy roundtr

I booked for a weeks stay starting on Saturday night (first day Sunday). As others have said, leaving early is little problem for hotel and I'd just fly standby for the first flight I can get back. Leaving later might be more of a hassle, but by the time it becomes an issue I'll have guaranteed myself a six figure cash so I probably won't be too annoyed about any extra fees.