Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Borgata musings from Saturday

No more 6-12 limit at the Borgata. They stopped spreading it a week or so ago. So now they have 2-4, 3-6, 5-10, 10-20 etc. They could barley keep the 5-10 filled. Saturday afternoon we often played short handed, hardly ever a list. When the list would get full, no luck starting a second table.

Anyway, the game was great. There such passive fish at the game. No one ever three bet preflop, many would call 2 bets cold. And they would obligingly fold the river when they missed, call you with weak cards and bet only when they hit hard. No memorable hands from my daytime session which ran from about 11:30 - 9:30pm I played TAG poker, and slowly grinded my to cash out up 420 on a 300 buy-in.

After getting my room, catching some food and relaxing, I showed up again at about 11pm. I was on dinner reseating, and sat down right away. Most people at the table were different. There was more drinking, some Tags, one Lag, but still a very passive game overall. Anyway, I decided to try and have some fun, and loosened my game up a bit, taking down some pots with aggression and catching with rags to show down some bad cards. I got a bit loud and kept the table full by shouting out to folks standing around whenever there was empty seats (LOOSE STUPID DRUNK PEOPLE w/OPEN SEATING 5-10!).

I still hadn't done any real damage though until I capped it preflop with AcKc 5 ways. The flop missed me with Queen High with one club, checked to me I bet out, set of queens check raised me, everyone calls. Jc Club on turn gives another set, I know its gonna cum, bet raise, call call call. Club on river, groans, chcked to me, I bet my nuts, everyone calls. Thank you runner runner.

After that I could do no wrong. raise preflop, with A8os, 8 high flop, pound...Ace on river for twopair, thanks.. Same with A9. This is clearly sustainable.

So I raise preopen with 3s5s. Flop comes 7s8sJc. Young urban wear guy in Blind bets (later shows J8) I raise, he 3 bets his top two. Turn is 6s given me the flush on the turn with the up and down SF draw. He bets, I raise, he asks how big my flush is and he calls...

9s on river, giving me the ass end. he checks, I bet he calls. Not only didn't he have the 10s, he didn't have a spade.

I play around until my blind taking down one more small pot, and cash out up 600 on a 300 buy-in in my second session at about 3:30am.

So a great game which they can barely keep going on a Saturday/Saturday night leaves me up 1k. Clearly sustainable...

BTW I highly recommend SeaBlue. Delicious. And I highly recommend changing up your table image once in a while.

- ML
Old 07-23-2007, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Borgata musings from Saturday

There was only one table for 5/10? How many were there when they spread 6/12? how many 10/20 tables?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 PM

5-10 is the worst structure, i can't imagine why they would replace the 6-12 with this game
Old 07-23-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a bit loud and kept the table full by shouting out to folks standing around whenever there was empty seats (LOOSE STUPID DRUNK PEOPLE w/OPEN SEATING 5-10!).

[/ QUOTE ]

never be "that guy"
Old 07-23-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was only one table for 5/10? How many were there when they spread 6/12? how many 10/20 tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

6/12 wasn't very successful either. I believe the 10/20 generally has lots of tables.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

6/12 wasn't very successful either. I believe the 10/20 generally has lots of tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually 3 to 6 10/20 tables, and they were lucky if they could keep one good 6/12 game going. It never made sense to me why there is such a big gap between 3/6 and 10/20, but they can keep games going at 6/12 or now 5/10.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:54 PM

In my opinion, the 6-12 or 5-10 games are mostly pass through games on the way to 10-20 limit or higher. Also, the 1-2 and 2-5NL games have sucked the $300 to $500 bankrolls away from middle limit games.

BTW, I feel the baby NL games are much more profitable places to play if you are aggressive and willing to intimidate players without deep pockets who buy in short stacked.

I was playing at the MGM Vegas 1-2 NL table last week and 3 young guys left the table because two of us were not allowing cheap looks at the flop - ie $10 minimum raise preflop. It just got too expensive for their $100 buy-in to hang at the table.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, the 6-12 or 5-10 games are mostly pass through games on the way to 10-20 limit or higher. Also, the 1-2 and 2-5NL games have sucked the $300 to $500 bankrolls away from middle limit games.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is especially true. I'd been playing 3/6 and occassional 6/12 for the past year. The 6/12 game was no fun and hard to keep going/get into that I started playing 1/2NL. I doubt I'll go back to limit anytime soon. After I build a big enough bankroll at 1/2 I'll probably move to 2/5 and maybe play around a bit in the 10/20.

[ QUOTE ]

BTW, I feel the baby NL games are much more profitable places to play if you are aggressive and willing to intimidate players without deep pockets who buy in short stacked.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can also be a quick way to throw away money. There's a decent number of short stack buy ins who are good players just waiting for someone to try this [censored] with them.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:14 AM

What's the problem about playing 5-10 instead of playing 6-12 ?

- jpp
Old 07-25-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the problem about playing 5-10 instead of playing 6-12 ?

- jpp

[/ QUOTE ]

It kills the action. 5-10 is typically played with $5 chips which makes the pots look very small and 6-12 is typically played with $2 chips which makes the pots look large.

edit to add: I have foudn this to be a great indicator about the management of the room. I have never seen a $5-$10 spread someplace where the management wasn't very clueless.