Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2006, 12:44 PM

Default About bluffing weak bets

10 handed 100NL. Villain is a decent, but not very thinking, straight forward 20/8/3ish player.

Preflop
Villain raises 4bb from MP, you call with 88 in LP, everyone else folds

Flop K62, two of the same suits (pot 9bb)
Villain bets 5bb, you call.

Turn 5, not completing the flush draw (pot 19bb)
Vilain bets 5bb, you?

I'm not sure if my example is good, but often I find myself in situations where I could be ahead but easily be behind to a QQ-99 hand. Is a raise to 20-25bb here with the intention of not putting in any more money a good idea? It basically turns my hand into a bluff, but should often get these PPs to fold. I might get called by a FD and be good when I check the river, but most often I'm behind on a SD. How do you read villains hand?
Old 11-19-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: About bluffing weak bets

Nick, this deppends on more reads.

Do u think he will fire with a missed draw on turn?
Does he folds often to raises when he weak bet?
Have u been very active lately?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick, this deppends on more reads.

Do u think he will fire with a missed draw on turn?
Does he folds often to raises when he weak bet?
Have u been very active lately?

[/ QUOTE ]
Most often when in a situation like this I don't know what his weak bets means, if he's been making these kind of bets often before it would be pretty easy to know what to do. I guess my question is more of the general kind, what does these weak bets mean at this level? My hand reading tells me his range is fd, PP less than KK or Kx x<J, but I haven't been playing alot NL and have no experience what they mean and was looking for some advice so I don't have to find out the expensive way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I know my question is general and it's hard to know, but without a read do you consider raising a good option? It needs to succeed pretty often to be +EV, do you raise these kind of bets without reads on regular basis or do you only make this play having a read he often folds after making weak bets? As said I don't have alot experience, but it seems to me when I actually have a hand and raise these kind of bets, villain often folds.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:12 PM

It's really opponent dependent.

I respond to these the same way I respond to flop min-raises of my CBs. The first time, I'll put in a real raise and take note of what villain does. I can adjust for future hands from there.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As said I don't have alot experience, but it seems to me when I actually have a hand and raise these kind of bets, villain often folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a fellow NL noobie, but I think that whenever you are in a situation like this (e.g. K-high board and you have a mid-PP) and a turn raise gets your weak-betting opponent to fold, you are doing all right, since you probably weren't getting much more out of him, and you prevented him from sucking out on you.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:42 PM

I play 6 max, but I often raise these bets. You can often take the pot from a scared 99-QQ type hand that you're worried will beat you at showdown. I think just raising>folding>calling because in just calling you will be paying off on hands you might have stolen from, or giving Ax or draw type hands free/cheap shots to beat you. Also, remember the metagame considerations. If you are raising in spots like these as well as with big hands, big draws, etc., your opponents are going to get sick of it and play back at you and you'll get more action on big hands.
Old 11-19-2006, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play 6 max, but I often raise these bets. You can often take the pot from a scared 99-QQ type hand that you're worried will beat you at showdown. I think just raising>folding>calling because in just calling you will be paying off on hands you might have stolen from, or giving Ax or draw type hands free/cheap shots to beat you. Also, remember the metagame considerations. If you are raising in spots like these as well as with big hands, big draws, etc., your opponents are going to get sick of it and play back at you and you'll get more action on big hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I like your points. My feeling is that raising those type of bets might be good, but I'm not totally confident yet... I'll have to try it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2006, 05:20 PM

Vs this kind of player, a raise is NEVER folding a hand that has you beat. They'll bet 5 and call 20 more, no problem.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vs this kind of player, a raise is NEVER folding a hand that has you beat. They'll bet 5 and call 20 more, no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Untrue, the weak lead on the turn is a bet from a player who doesn't want to check and seem weak but doesn't have a god hand. Hwne I see these bets I raise 100 percent of the time no matter what I'm holding and they fold 99 percent of the time no joke.