Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: $50 - AK flops tptk oop HU with deep stacks

Would a really big hand raise this flop?

A lot of players play KK QQ JJ TT the way you played this hand with a larger than normal preflop bet.

I call the mini raise 50% of the time and raise the other 50%.

You're not playing a small pot here if you continue with the hand andI don't like donking the turn as much as much as I like check raise pushing or potting it.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While it's true that 3-betting does the same, at least you're projecting the possibility of AA or TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is playing poker with your emotions. You feel weak so you try to look strong. If you consistently do this with marginal hands then it's going to cost you money.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:00 PM

I dont like calling his min raise here because you still dont know what it means. I would tend to fold or 3 bet given his stat. If he has a better hand he pushes and you will have a chance to get this to showdown cheaper if he has TP as he will check behind more often than not and you can call his weakish river bet! I think he has atleast 2 pairs!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi! This is my first hand-post in SSNL, I'm an old limit donk.

Villain is 20/5/1.6 after 800 hands, no other reads. Effective stacks 94$.

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
10 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, 3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="red"> Hero raises to $4.5 </font> , 2 folds, CO calls, 2 folds.

<font color="blue"> My preflop raise is a little bit larger than I usually raise here. But I don't mind taking the pot right now nor do I fear playing AK oop vs one opponent which seems to be the likely case if I get called. Standard I guess. Thoughts? </font>

Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($11, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8 </font>, <font color="red"> CO raises to $16 </font>, Hero?

<font color="blue"> So, this seems to be the worst case scenario, called by a relatively tight player with a deep stack, I hit and he min-raises my bet. Bet out more on the flop? But more importantly, what should be my line from here and what range do you put villain on?</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Default Thoughts and results

As said, the turn was a Q and I ended up check/folding to a 34$ bet (more than 3/4 pot). Given the turn check I'm certain folding to this bet is correct. The Q was the worst possible card to fall on the turn as it puts me behind the most likely hand I'm ahead of, AQ. I have to admit I didn't really consider betting the turn, but I think it's a good idea. But when the turn is a Q I think checking and folding to a bet this size is at least relatively close.

After he folded he showed me 88. I was multitabling during the hand and it took me some time to bet the flop (maybe 12-15 sec) which leads me to think he's becoming more likely to try to bluff me (I felt this way at the time I plyed the hand too). When I pause like this it could easily be interpreted as I have KK/QQ. Is this just my imagination or have you guys experienced anything similair? When this is the case, should I bet mote on the flop to make me look stronger? This time I bet relatively small on the flop. Just some thoughts, all comments appreciated.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Thoughts and results

It takes balls to continue with 88 on that board.

He read you sooo gooot.