Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 08:06 AM

Default 25NL: Flop Set OOP HU line check

Hey guys,

I got a little creative with my set here. What do you think? What is your standard play here?

Thanks guys,

friedace

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Full Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($23.85)
Hero ($50.65)
UTG ($28.35)
MP ($47.35)
Button ($12.25)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.60.

Flop: ($1.80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $0.85</font>, Hero calls $0.85.

Turn: ($3.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP checks.

River: ($3.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>

Final Pot: $3.50
Old 10-25-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: 25NL: Flop Set OOP HU line check

hmmm, you don't seem to be getting much value for your set here. Unfortunately, the river is a heart and you opp may feel u checked a FD twice and are now betting it.

I would lead the flop, hoping for a raise, then 3bet. Either that or a check raise. If the villain has an ace then you want to start building the pot so that bets on subsequent streets are larger.

I would definitely bet the turn, i dont want villain checking behind and keeping the pot small. I would also want him to put money in before a scare card, ie. a heart, hits on the river.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 AM

I think you lost tons of value by playing it so passively. If villain got something like AK, AQ, you could have easily got it in on turn or river by betting or raising...
My standard line: bet on the flop and hope villain got a big A, then get it in on turn or river. Plus your turn check is really ugly as that board is really drawy with two FDs out there.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: ($1.80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets $0.85</font>, Hero calls $0.85.

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:15 AM

Bet flop $1.50, as played bet turn $3. River bet is ok

Sets don't come up every hand, and you need to build the pot to make it worth your while all the times you call a raise preflop and don't hit. BET !
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 AM

Axx flop is a dream flop for a set (except flush draw, but you can price it out by betting big). There is a good chance that villain has an Ace, and you can get a lot of value from this hand. And you have a FD on board, you need to bet flop, then river 4/5 pot size, or more. If flush card comes, slow down and check-call.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I totally agree that I butchered this hand. I think a check call might be decent on a dry board, but with the FD out there, my range is a lot wider, so I can play it more aggressively as if I'm semibluffing with a flush draw.

Since I just called the pfraise, what is the best line here? Lead or check raise?

I guess it would really depend on how I would play a draw or a good ace like AJ or AQ here. For example, if I consistently lead/CR with an ace or FD here, then it disguises when I have a set. So, if you agree that the action with AJ/AQ, FD, or set should be the same a lot of the time, what is the best action to take? Always lead with these hands or CR?

To be honest, with AJ/AQ, I usually just CC and let the guy bluff his chips off if he has KK/QQ, and also keep the pot small if he has a bigger ace.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:07 PM

I'd say you missed value. I prolly either lead flop or chk/call flop and lead turn and river. Against someone who is pretty aggro your line is fine to mix it up once in a while but your OP did not specify any reads.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say you missed value. I prolly either lead flop or chk/call flop and lead turn and river. Against someone who is pretty aggro your line is fine to mix it up once in a while but your OP did not specify any reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call man. My orig intention was to check-raise a blank turn repping a flush. FPS I guess since it was readless. I think you hit the nail on the head. If I had a history with him or a read saying he'll double barrel and not control the pot, I could have taken the cc flop, cr blank turn. But, on an unknown, I should have probably done the following based on all the comments:

1. Lead flop / CR flop - unsure which is best on an unknown.
2. If I CC flop, lead turn.
3. CC flop, check turn, get lucky river to boat up, lead out, villain folds, I collect small pot.

Looks like 1/2 &gt; 3.

I guess I need a HUD too. With teh discussion of a new pt and Pokerace combo, I'm trying to hold out.

thanks for the reply bro.

friedace
Old 10-25-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you lost tons of value by playing it so passively. If villain got something like AK, AQ, you could have easily got it in on turn or river by betting or raising...
My standard line: bet on the flop and hope villain got a big A, then get it in on turn or river. Plus your turn check is really ugly as that board is really drawy with two FDs out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is betting out best? Would you do this with a FD? I know basically anything is better than what I did, but isn't a flat call pf, then lead on the flop more likely a set then a FD?

If you do this with FD's a lot, then I can understand it.

Maybe CR is better then, since this is more standard with a FD/combodraw, or am I totally off?

friedace