Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 11:24 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost
Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
-Wow, I feel horrible for her parents, they are going to be second guessing themselves for the rest of their lives

- "lets sue" / "lets press charges." *sigh* it was 13 year olds messing around with a grave consequence; while the family would probably win a civil suit what does that accomplish? i hate this sue happy society...

[/ QUOTE ]

qft on both counts

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-14-2007, 11:29 PM

Wow, I am really surprised at some of the responses here.

First things first, I know parents like this. These are the type of [censored] losers who get so wrapped up in thirteen-year-old drama that they actually dislike and try to hurt other thirteen-year-old kids. The type of parents who really never left middle school themselves. There are some that I deal in my own life, and they make me sick enough. These parents are [censored] jokes, they are the scum of the earth. Who gives a [censored] if they didn't shoot this girl, or kill her physically. Forget for a moment that the girl even killed herself (although that is obviously huge).

Think about what these goddamn [censored] did. They made a myspace account solely to tell this girl that she was pretty, attractive, w/e... and then posted messages calling her fat and a [censored]... are you [censored] kidding me? I hate these people. God I hate these people so bad. Grow the [censored] up.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have never even heard of a depressed 7 year old, so the idea that this child could have gotten fat because she was eating due to depression is flat out absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ ] logical reasoning
[x] not!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I said there is no way this child got depressed then got fat, but it's certainly possible for adults. To weigh 200 pounds at age 13 she has to have been putting it on for several years. She was almost certainly a fat 10 year old and a fat 8 year old. I have never even heard of a depressed 7 year old, so the idea that this child could have gotten fat because she was eating due to depression is flat out absurd. This does not mean that it's not possible and even normal in other much different situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just because you've never heard of childhood depression doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This girl was already talking about suicide in the 3rd grade. And was in counseling because of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, and it's almost certainly because she was way overweight then too and incessantly harassed for it. The main thing that makes children depressed is being treated like crap by their peers and being fat is a sure-fire way for that to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]
This guy has to be levelling us. There is no way someone is this [censored] stupid. I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't care about the blame game but one thing is certain: unless this family is even more retarded than they already appear, they're obviously moving, soon, and in Witness Protection Program style. Certainly stories of this made their way around the neighborhood but now that it's circling the globe it's gonna be bad times for them when inevitably their info is leaked and random people seek out vigilante justice on them, as even people in this thread have indicated being open to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Megan killed herself more than a year ago. According to everything in the article, the douchebag family still lives down the street.

New topic to argue about: what do y'all think of the reporter providing anonymity to basically everyone else in the story? If there's no crime, then there's no reason to protect anyone, right? Megan's parents are on record in the story that they don't want anyone exacting vigilante justice beyond a busted foosball table.

I find it somewhat morbidly humorous that the reporter left everyone nameless because he could possibly be held liable if he printed their names and someone unconnected to the whole thing — one of us, say — went and burned their house down or whatever. The irony is biting, but also sad.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:10 AM

marchron - hmmm, interesting. But still the heat has gotten a LOT hotter with the article getting published.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that this was an elaborate and lengthy premeditated plot to bring this girl crumbling down, knowing full well she was suffering and being treated for a mental illness makes this situation much different, and I think what they did to her is enough to place blame on them for being responsible.

[/ QUOTE ]
EXACTLY. I have no idea why GOT is going on and on in this thread like it was a single insult or mean act that was the final straw that pushed her over the edge. It was a cold, calculated mindfuck of a girl who on top of her other problems probably had terrible self-esteem because of her weight at a time when being accepted by her peers is at an all-time high.

The thing is, most people just want to know that they're desired and OK for being who they are. Particularly at that age. This fake account came along and made her feel wanted and allowed her to delude herself into thinking that someone out there thought she was beautiful. Then the rug was pulled out from under her in a way that seems about as cruel as possible. I honestly have to wonder if GOT even read the article with the way he is responding.

And if you want to see how 14-year-olds can be, there is a forum on this very site in which they roam free: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/po...p;Board=Laughs
Old 11-15-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea why GOT is going on and on in this thread like it was a single insult or mean act that was the final straw that pushed her over the edge. It was a cold, calculated mindfuck of a girl who on top of her other problems probably had terrible self-esteem because of her weight at a time when being accepted by her peers is at an all-time high.

The thing is, most people just want to know that they're desired and OK for being who they are. Particularly at that age. This fake account came along and made her feel wanted and allowed her to delude herself into thinking that someone out there thought she was beautiful. Then the rug was pulled out from under her in a way that seems about as cruel as possible. I honestly have to wonder if GOT even read the article with the way he is responding.

[/ QUOTE ]
I did read the article. I agree that the extent and intent behind what they did makes this a more despicable act. But I don't agree that effort-put-into should be the metric that determines degrees of moral responsibility. You either agree that people's actions are their own and that you and I have nobody to blame for voluntary acts we commit other than ourselves, or you don't. Whether a cruel act takes ten seconds or ten days doesn't change philosophy. It can make what they did more cruel and morally despicable, but there isn't some magic barrier of time or effort that suddenly changes the principle.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:20 AM

Wow this is awful.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:26 AM

Alobar - you're dead nuts on this topic, and I think the more examples you make to fend off the tangents that the "thinkers" bring up, the more you stray from the issue at hand.

A pair of adults conspired to psychologically break a child. There is no other way this can be described and no other reason that these two people could give for doing what they did. They tortured a child for sport. It's evil.

The girls mental instability, even though disgustingly known to these festering [censored], really doesn't even need to come into play here, except to frame the situation when CYS comes in to take their daughter from them.

Oh and mods, alex ban pls?
Old 11-15-2007, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for writing this out. If not, I would have had to be the person pointing out how igorant that statement was.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, how ignorant to assume that people's actions are their own responsibility.

Seriously, wtf is going on in this thread. The stupid myspace parents are responsible for making a stupid choice that was intended to make the girl feel bad. It was retarded and cruel and immature. It led to that girl feeling severely depressed immediately after. But what she chose to do with that depression was completely her own doing and had nothing to do with the myspace family.

[/ QUOTE ]

I paid someone to kill my wife. It led to that assassin wanting to kill my wife. But what he chose to do after he got paid was completely his own doing and had nothing to do with me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this one of those things where, in AC-Land, all that happens is that you just don't recommend that hitman and stop doing business with him if he fails to perform the task you paid him to do, and that makes everything all right?