Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2006, 12:14 PM

Default Re: How Come No One Says Stuff Like

I guess the main reason why people don't say things like that is while most people are ignorant, a lot of people aren't THAT stupid.

Homosexuality is not something you try to "change", or even can change. That is called denial, and why on earth anyone would want to deny such a key aspect of who they are, such as their sexuality, I don't know. Of course, society is filled with prejudice and idiocy in terms of understanding of sexuality, so one might be persuaded to go into denial.
But it can never be a meaningful goal.
Good science!

And how homosexuality could be held against someone applying as adoptive parents, I'll never understand.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:21 PM

What if a random mutation was detected in the fetus, the magnitude of which would arguably dismiss the fetus's categorization as human, or be a radical step up in evolution, like the X-Men or something? Wouldn't it be the Christian evangelical's duty to prevent this expression of evolution in the strongest terms possible, i.e. abort the heresy?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 PM

So many are not getting it. I could have picked other subjects. My post is simply another way of pointing out that people are making a big mistake, in my mind, when they argue one side without goving the other side its due. I say such tactics reduce the chances of persuading others.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:34 PM

You might want to use valid points when illustrating that (I have to admit) interesting point you are making.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:37 PM

The issues of gay marriage and abortion aren't issues meant for debate. They are political fictions. They don't matter. Karl Rove is just the latest one to exploit their divisive power while not caring about either. While people are arguing over gay marriage and abortion, global warming, international trade issues, problems in the middle east and the national debt are conspiring to destroy this nation preoccupied with petty distractions regarding genitalia.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 PM

I have no quarrel with that comment.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 PM

maybe you should run for president sklansky youre prob the best man for the job

your campaign ad can just be you reading all these questions in the forum and then saying "do you see why" and then just straight up answering them right after (cos youre right)
Old 12-10-2006, 03:57 PM

Most people do not speak about homosexuality with the same level of intensity and conviction as they do abortion. Its not possible to put the two on a same level of discourse.

Also most people do not believe in "killing tiny babies." The pro-choice movement would never use such language to describe their position. It would not go over well in Peoria or anywhere else for that matter.

Finally the pro-life movement does not view aborted babies as "no big deal." The more feverent ones view it as genocide. I am not saying I agree with them just stating their case. Millions of Americans feel very strongly about this issue and no one would support killing tiny babies.

The homosexuality issue, despite the hype, does not stir the passions of the abortion debate and in the big scheme of things is no where near as important as many other issues (Iraq, economy, etc). It affects a relatively small percentage of the US population, has little effect on public policy and does not receive the funding nor the support that is present in the abortion/anti-abortion movments.

No one would ever say the things you suggest simply because there is no political upside to it. What would an elected official gain by making such a statement? Nothing and he would likely lose alot of support. Better to ride the middle of the road and try not to piss everyone off.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So many are not getting it. I could have picked other subjects. My post is simply another way of pointing out that people are making a big mistake, in my mind, when they argue one side without goving the other side its due. I say such tactics reduce the chances of persuading others.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with being homosexual. People saying they should want to change (even if it's not that big a deal and not if they are already in a relationship) are bigots (even if mildly).

The other side is that God/Allah/whoever says that homosexual acts are sinful. Nobody who believes this is going to change their minds because somebody says. "Well maybe Allah has a point, but..." Or is there another argument against an adult's right to have sex with another consenting adult?

Abortion is more of a dilema. There is a conflict between the rights of an unborn individuals and the rights of the mother. I'd agree that both sides are almost always too dogmatic and would do better to consider the other's point of view.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:17 PM

The amount of fear and ignorant stereotyping disguised as coffee shop intellectualism in this thread is astounding.