Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Default HELP! I\'m becoming a calling station!

I play either 6max SNG's or 45 person SNG's. When I am playing the 45 person, I can take my time, pick my spots, get away from any sketchy spots as I know there is PLENTY of play before and during the final table.

However, when I play 6-max tables, I tend to push way too much (not shove, just lean on my opponents too much) I see so many retarded plays being made and people running the other one down with middle pair - gutshot straight draw to an opponents 3 barrel bluff. I find myself making no big folds at these 6 handed tables.

What do you do when you find yourself calling wayy too light at an aggressive table, the structure calls for pushing small edges, but I think i am taking that to the extreme, for example calling AI bet on turn with middle pair and small flush draw, Villain holding top pair. Am I correct in pushing these small edges or am I truly just turning into a calling station.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 AM

Default Re: HELP! I\'m becoming a calling station!

[ QUOTE ]

for example calling AI bet on turn with middle pair and small flush draw, Villain holding top pair. Am I correct in pushing these small edges or am I truly just turning into a calling station.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that example, you have no edge. You are 68% to lose.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:01 AM

i understand, hence, the title of thread, i am turning into a calling station.
I'm just wondering how to tighten back up without losing or passing up any significant edges.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

However, when I play 6-max tables, I tend to push way too much (not shove, just lean on my opponents too much) I see so many retarded plays being made and people running the other one down with middle pair - gutshot straight draw to an opponents 3 barrel bluff. I find myself making no big folds at these 6 handed tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just adjust to your table! If as you described the players are loose and the action is wild, then tighten up. Play your good hands really aggressive Bet Pot with a made hand and add some speculative hands in position at a loose, but not aggro table.

If you are playing against opponents who are nitty and weak-tight then you can start to push them around and start stealing/restealing blinds more often.

Remember:<font color="brown">When other people bust - You gain equity!</font> Don't try to stay on Average chip count or crap like that. Play good hands and push marginal hands at the right time (ICM).
Hope this helps a little.

OP: Play more hands in position then you won't make weak plays like check/calling (which can be correct). If you would call a bet and are OOP you should often think about firing the bet by yourself rather than calling a bet by Villian. Add Fold Equity to your weapon arsenal.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:18 AM

Niggel thanks for the advice.
Another question for anyone tho, becuz I have noticed myself making more and more loose calls, I have assumed my opponents are noticing the same thing. I know at least 2 of the 6 at my table said to themself "wow he just doubled that guy thru with 88 on a 9JK board?"

That said, I think part of the reason I am becoming calling station is I see myself making big loose calls and assume my opponents are adjusting, therefore, betting, c/r and 3betting much lighter than usual. I generally play at the $50 6max so I think the players are sophisticaed to adjust to table dynamics. Any thoughts?