Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 02:05 AM

Default Re: Rules question from Pack/Bears game re: replay challenge

Obviously in their challenge they claimed there was 13 men on the field. There was only 12 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-08-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can only challenge the spot of a ball if it involves a first down, therefore if the down isn't changed then you lose the challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? This is crazy. So if on a third down run the refs mark it 1 yard away when replays show it was less that 1/2 yard without being a first down, you can't challenge it? That's huge! I did not know this.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can only challenge the spot of a ball if it involves a first down, therefore if the down isn't changed then you lose the challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? This is crazy. So if on a third down run the refs mark it 1 yard away when replays show it was less that 1/2 yard without being a first down, you can't challenge it? That's huge! I did not know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interestingly from what it sounds like you could challenge this; you might pick up some yardage, but you 'lose' the challenge and pay a timeout. This happening is what the post is about.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing with challenging the spot is the spot isn't binary like most rules, its a continuum. Basically every spot is off by at least a few inches. I think that if you challenge the spot, you should lose unless the spot changes by at least a half yard unless it results in a changed first down or touchdown call.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First, how the hell do they do a booth review for 12 men on the field and reverse it when even Madden can circle all the guys and see its legit

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the game but I would tend to side more with the replay-official then with Madden on this one.
Madden tends to miss certain obvious aspects of a play even after seeing it on the replay 5 straight times.
I can be telling the TV, "Ummm, he never had possession" and he'll be circling the feet that landed in-bounds and be completely oblivious to the other part of the replay.
Then MAYBE Al picks up on it and says, "I think there might be a question of whether he was juggling it or not John" and then MAYBE Madden gets around to looking at the more relevant part of the replay.

I can very easily see Madden circling 11 men on the field and completely missing some 12th guy who was standing just barely inside the sideline way away from the play or something like that. Really easy to do...especially for Madden.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First, how the hell do they do a booth review for 12 men on the field and reverse it when even Madden can circle all the guys and see its legit

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the game but I would tend to side more with the replay-official then with Madden on this one.
Madden tends to miss certain obvious aspects of a play even after seeing it on the replay 5 straight times.
I can be telling the TV, "Ummm, he never had possession" and he'll be circling the feet that landed in-bounds and be completely oblivious to the other part of the replay.
Then MAYBE Al picks up on it and says, "I think there might be a question of whether he was juggling it or not John" and then MAYBE Madden gets around to looking at the more relevant part of the replay.

I can very easily see Madden circling 11 men on the field and completely missing some 12th guy who was standing just barely inside the sideline way away from the play or something like that. Really easy to do...especially for Madden.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah, there were definitely at least 12 men on the field when the ball was snapped, and possibly a 13th who was running back to the sideline.

Agreed on the general comment on Madden, though usually Michaels does pick it up for him.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This wasn't a question of Madden's senility. Hell, someone in the booth put handy little numbered boxes right next to every player on the screen and came up with 12 (not counting another guy who did make it off in time), with the 12th guy being at least a yard from the sidelines while the ball is being hiked.

Rigged.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to see his columns

[/ QUOTE ]

Link

Scroll down the page and you can see the entire archive back to the 2003-2004 season. He answeres questions every week during the season concerning the previous Sunday, along with various hypotheticals posed by fans.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.... This happens at least once during every one of his games, and it I love that uncomfortable tension in the air when Al so politely and subtely attempts to correct him....
Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This game was rigged with a half dozen bad calls against the Packers, so you can just throw out whatever the rules were supposed to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "illegally playing DL on a FG attempt" isn't a standard penalty?

[/ QUOTE ]

god this put me on such tilt

[/ QUOTE ]
When I saw this penalty my thought was, "man, glad I don't bet on sports."