Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Ask a music scene micro celebrity

Hi Steve,

have you ever been in a studio with someone that just dampens the whole atmosphere with their mood, or ignorance?
If so, did you manage to overcome that obstacle?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:49 PM

Hey Steve

How many pages do you think this thread will go? How many did you think it would go when you started it?
Is it getting more or less anttention than you thought it would?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Steve,

have you ever been in a studio with someone that just dampens the whole atmosphere with their mood, or ignorance?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you actually read this thread you would already know that the answer to any question about a negative studio experience is almost certainly Urge Overkill.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Steve,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you actually read this thread you would already know that the answer to any question about a negative studio experience is almost certainly Urge Overkill.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah F*ck You
Old 07-15-2007, 08:08 PM

steve albini,

thanks for articulating what it is that has always bothered me about bands selling their songs for commercials!

i'm curious if you have heard about musicthing.org yet and what you think about it. they have a link to your classic piece "The Problem With Music" on there. apparently their first band recorded using a toy 1 watt amp and fake drums. is it even possible to make a toy amp sound that noisy?

i've heard you kind of trash talk the pixies in the past as kind of middle-of-the-road or something. do you think it's possible to state objectively that a band sucks? or is it always just opinion?

what was it about urge overkill that rubbed you the wrong way? i like their records and saw them play a weird one-off show a few years ago at the troubadour in LA. they were really really good. they seem to be your catch-all whipping boy band -- can you reveal the true story behind your disdain?

and i've read that kurt cobain had all kinds of crazy ideas about how to mic drums which you helped him realize on in utero (in keeping with your engineering philosophy i guess). can you describe what the set up was?

i had no idea you worked on the new joanna newsom record. i love the milk eyed mender but haven't heard the new one. she is completely amazing.

thanks for keeping your s!#$ real.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:51 PM

ok serious q this time, why is whoisthedrizzle funny?
Old 07-15-2007, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Steve,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you now, his mom?
Old 07-16-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Steve,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are you now, his mom?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. You registered to post that. Brilliant
Old 07-16-2007, 03:06 AM

Would-Be Recording Engineer Student: please follow the aforementioned advice and invest in a baccalaureate or associate’s degree from an accredited college. And make sure that the core liberal arts curriculum includes at least one English course, remedial if necessary.

Such vocational/academic preparation will ultimately enrich your intellectual life, trust me. And just as importantly, it may save you from, say, misspelling the phrase “one thousand hertz” into a studio log book. Because you’ll never live it down. You’ll be history – literally . . .
Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who is the drunk wrestling you at the end pig pile?

[/ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine, impaired by booze. He's better now.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you got any new jokes?

[/ QUOTE ]
Guy walks into a bar and says, "How much does it cost to make a record?"

Bartender says, "Well, a simple record without any overdubs or anything fancy you can do for about a grand. More elaborate records can cost up to a million dollars."

Guy says, "Can I have one of those million-dollar records for a grand?"

Bartender says, "Sorry, no."

Guy says, "That Albini guy is a dick."

[ QUOTE ]
Will Shellac ever play outside of London or ATP in the UK?

[/ QUOTE ]
We've already played in Manchester, Leeds, Edinburgh, Belfast, Dorset, Newport and... must be another couple places.
[ QUOTE ]

"There is a big black song with with like a party blower on it and it sounds like it's coming from a very specific place in the headphones - I want to know how you do that, it's spacial field is extremely realistic. I was walking through lichfield listening to it one day, and I thought someone in the street was doing it"

[/ QUOTE ]
You high.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you heard of an album called 'The Holy Bible' by Manic Street Preachers?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of the current British music scene...new rave etc?

[/ QUOTE ]
I know nothing about the current British music scene. I just assumed it was atrocious, like it has been since the mid-1980s, the last time I paid attention.