Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Philosophy of Xmas

[ QUOTE ]
so why do we celebrate it every freakin year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you live in a country that is historically christian, has deep christian traditions embedded in our language and culture, and as a part of that language and culture you would have to go out of your way to avoid the influence. But even the christian traditions aren't entirely christian. Most of the christmas practices are coopted from pagan traditions, like the tree and the time of year near the winter solistice.

One way to avoid it would be to practice a different religion. But even then you end up with "Bless you," when you sneeze. "In God We Trust" on the money. "OMG" in the chat box. The easter bunny. St Valentine's day. "Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God." "One nation under God..." A cross on Mount Soledad in San Diego (although an aetheist has been trying to get it down for decades in the courts). The Charlie Brown Christmas special. Halloween (another pagan tradition blended into "all hallows eave" prior to All Saints Day). A sea of white crosses (and a few other symbols) at Arlington National Cemetery. Etc...

And Christmas.

So, Merry Christmas. Just enjoy it.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Philosophy of Xmas

I'm not sure how widespread your views are within your family. If they are prevalent you could suggest following the route my family took a few years ago (all of whom are devout atheist except me).

We initially didnt give any presents and resolved that christmas would just be a day to celebrate our family. Lots of big meals, reminiscing about long running family jokes, etcetera etcetera. We've relaxed the no presents rule slightly in later years, but the break has meant present-giving no longer has the feel of being "the point" of christmas. There's no obligation to give everyone a gift - merely if you see something someone else will like.

The day has become a great celebration of our family - if the US is like Australia there's not much else to do on christmas day, so you may as well use the excuse to get together. Although another tack my dad took for many years was to offer to work christmas eve, day and boxing day (he's a doctor) every year. He then built up enough gratitude he could pretty much get cover any day he chose through the rest of the year.