Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Winning rivalry games, is it a skill?

http://footballoutsiders.com/index.php?p=5505
Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 PM

This is sort of OT, but I think there is a 'big game' mentality that some coaches are better at than others. Since I think everyone will agree that rivalry games fit that category, I'll use it.

Using two pro examples, Schotenheimer and Holmgren are said to have had trouble in playoff games because they get too emotional/high-strung for them, and this nervousness gets passed on to the players. Not everyone will agree with these specific examples, esp. since Holmgren has 2 SB appearances and 1 win, but if you agree that such a concept is valid, then surely there are college counterparts as well?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is sort of OT, but I think there is a 'big game' mentality that some coaches are better at than others. Since I think everyone will agree that rivalry games fit that category, I'll use it.

Using two pro examples, Schotenheimer and Holmgren are said to have had trouble in playoff games because they get too emotional/high-strung for them, and this nervousness gets passed on to the players. Not everyone will agree with these specific examples, esp. since Holmgren has 2 SB appearances and 1 win, but if you agree that such a concept is valid, then surely there are college counterparts as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course that's true, but you're basically just asserting that there is a "big game/rivarly mentality" that has a meaningful impact (independent of general ability) on who wins. It MIGHT be possible, but just because people say it all the time doesn't make it so. If anything, I'd say the default would be no meaningful difference unless otherwise proven.