Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

View Poll Results: A loose passive fish and a loose aggressive fish are sitting HU 300bbs deep, which seat do you take?
Left of loose passive fish, right of loose aggressive fish 25 18.66%
Left of loose aggressive fish, right of loose passive fish 109 81.34%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Madden\'s football knowledge

jaws is good, but mike and tony drag him down imo... as a broadcast team they drive me nuts
Old 11-26-2007, 11:43 AM

In most professions there's a glass ceiling that keeps out a lot of qualified candidates who don't have the right connections. I see no reason why coaching football would be any different, and I don't think a senile John Madden still knows more than any number of guys who haven't ever gotten their foot in the door.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:56 AM

When he first started broadcasting, Madden was great, probably the best color commentator.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When he first started broadcasting, Madden was great, probably the best color commentator.

[/ QUOTE ]
True. And even if he is now a caricature of himself he's still a very good one IMO and perhaps still the best. He hasn't seen a Letterman-esque slide from his 80s greatness by any means.

Then again I tend to grade him on a curve because he reminds me of my childhood, making those big third down plays in the backyard while he and Pat Summerall called the action. Who I thought they put out to pasture way too early but nobody seems to agree with me on that so whatever.

Hubie Brown, melted face and all, is still the gold standard for sports analysis.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's paid to be entertaining and a goofball, and to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

he's probably become a parody of himself..I would bet that if you watched a recording of his first few seasons, he would be much better.

but, the guy was an extremely succesfull HC in the NFL for 10 years, and that really doesn't happen by accident. he's also in the HOF as a coach. I don't know how many people know more than him, but it's probably < .1% of the people who criticize him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet that nobody who criticizes madden knows more than him.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:08 PM

He's weak on TV but that is to be expected. But if some of the haters sat down with Madden and went to breakdown the film from last night's game they would be stunned. I think that would be an amazing bit to put on MNF. Some random bum calls out Madden, he takes him into the film room and schools the [censored] out of him.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:14 PM

get over your madden nostalgia. the dude obviously knew football and was an awesome commentator at one time but is now a senile old coot that needs to retire. he is [censored] painful to listen to these days
Old 11-26-2007, 01:15 PM

Summerall was confusing teams and players far too much - that's just sad when a broadcaster can't get the facts right.

As for Madden, 250 is arbitrary, but 1000 is a rather safe number. I doubt he studies film like Jaworski so he's probably mostly going off a 30 year old script, but it's a good script.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:16 PM

In his prime days of broadcasting, Madden knew more about football than any broadcaster in the business. That's changed a bit since people like Jaws have come around. But Madden is still the man.

[ QUOTE ]
madden knows more football than anybody else in his age bracket

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-26-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would 250 know more, but not 500.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that unless Madden still puts in a lot of hours following football there are at least 250 players in the NFL who know more about football (as its currently played) than Madden.