Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Is Clinton as pushy as we think?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chance that a woman is lying to you or trying to manipulate you = A

Chance that a politician is lying to you or trying to manipulate you = B

A+B > B

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we tolerate overt sexism? The exact same thing could be said about a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you're right, but you don't actually support Hillary, do you?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:40 AM

For the record, my opposition to Hillary and my hatred of women are completely separate issues.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am however saying that for an outsider it does seem you like your country has an enormous gender inequality problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

The gender inequality is a lot less in the USA than in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The number of women in politics (especially senate and congress) is very low compared to many other countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow, Pakistan has elected a female president, and we haven't. How is that possible? Aren't muslim countries supposed to be more sexist than western countries?
Old 11-25-2007, 04:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chance that a woman is lying to you or trying to manipulate you = A

A+B > B

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we tolerate overt sexism? The exact same thing could be said about a man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you're right, but you don't actually support Hillary, do you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, but it has nothing to do with her being a her.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow, Pakistan has elected a female president, and we haven't. How is that possible? Aren't muslim countries supposed to be more sexist than western countries?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it´s fair to say that Pakistan is far more sexist than the US even though they have had a female prime minister. Benazir Bhutto gained much of her popularity from being the oldest child of the popular Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, but it is certainly interresting that a muslim country actually elected a female leader. But there are some modernity in muslim countries that we dont see as clearly here in the west, a country like Iran has a high percentage of female students and also a decent science community.

Im not sure how other European countries are, but in Norway there are rules that ensure a pretty even distribution of males and females in the parliament, each party has to have at least 40% women on their ballots in an election. Im not sure if thats an approach that would be popular in the US, as it limits the freedom of a party to choose their own representatives.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't muslim countries supposed to be more sexist than western countries?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nearly all Muslim countries rank amongst the bottom of gender inequality... US is somewhere in the early 20's.

IMO, people don’t hate Clinton because she is a woman, but like many others have said because she is cold, manipulative, opportunist politician.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chance that a human is lying to you or trying to manipulate you = A

A+B > B

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 11-25-2007, 11:58 AM

I'm buying this for the Hillary haters.

http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/H...124659&fp=F
Old 11-25-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But women? Not so much. Nancy Pelosi, Janet Reno, Condoleezza Rice, Madeleine Albright. I cannot see myself -- we are speaking metaphorically here -- cuddling up to any of them. They all seem formidable, off-putting, cold.

Which suggests the problem here is not so much them as me. And, if I may be so bold, we. As in, we seem unable to synthesize the idea that a woman can be smart, businesslike, demanding, capable, in charge and also warm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only a typical liberal-guilt-ridden-male would fall for the specious reasoning of this article.

So, if I don't like Hillary, it's my fault huh?? What a load of psycho-babble horse-[censored].

Sounds like the author really wants a Democrat to win and is afraid that people won't like Hillary because she's a horrible person, so might as well blame the voters....it's obviously their fault for not liking Hillary their saviour.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This has it all mixed up. The real thing IMO is that women have to be pretty off-putting and cold in order to be successful in a "man's world".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but I think this has some truth to it. The scale on which women in politics are judged is a very fickle one. They're either too soft and girly to be electable or too much of an ice princess.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I can name you many men who, their politics aside, strike me as likable: McCain, Bill Clinton, John Edwards, even cranky old Bob Dole.

[/ QUOTE ]
McCain is likeable??

[/ QUOTE ]

He was.. once. Give me 2000 McCain vs 2008 Obama for this next election and I'll be in heaven.

[ QUOTE ]
I never viewed her as being "pushy" but that's probably a good quality to have in running an administration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here I'm reminded of the current administration, having Alberto Gonzalez in a hospital room, pestering a bedridden... well, nvm that.

[ QUOTE ]
I am however saying that for an outsider it does seem you like your country has an enormous gender inequality problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a Morrissey line about America:

"In America, the land of the free they say,
And of opportunity, in a just and a truthful way,
But where the president is never black, female or gay"

[ QUOTE ]
Hillary Clinton is shrill...she sounds like my ex-mother-in-law, only more nagging.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess it's a good thing your mother-in-law can have only so many in-laws..?

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, my opposition to Hillary and my hatred of women are completely separate issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

You, sir, are a saint!

[ QUOTE ]
Only a typical liberal-guilt-ridden-blah-blah-blah

[/ QUOTE ]

It all turns to orange Rush Limbaugh/Fox News repeated wax in my ears. Seriously, if you took away the phrase "only a liberal", how would people like you ever be able to start a sentence or thought?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to realize, in those full body burkas, it's hard to tell someone's gender. Perhaps they didn't know they were voting for a woman?

I'm still upset that France didn't elect that hottie during their last election.